1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio file quality.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mark Perry, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mark Perry

Mark Perry Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    Just after a bit of advice really !
    I just got my first MP3 player (well, 2nd, but 1st was my mobile phone and only held 15 tracks :( )
    I have ripped lots of my cds to MP3 format, WMA format (both 128kbps and variable-40-75 kbps) and maybe its just my ageing hearing, but although i can notice a very slight difference in quality between the first 2, i can not hear any difference between the 2 WMA bit rates.
    Just wondering why this would be as a track at 128 is 4529 KB and at 40-75 is only 2800 KB.
    Your thiughts would be most welcome !!
    Mark.

2. dugq

dugq

I'm not quite sure exactly what the question is (can you not tell the difference between mp3 and wma and a lower bit-rate, or wma and a lower bit-rate wma), however I expect the reason is that wma is especially tuned to perform at lower bit-rates (less than 128) whereas most forms of mp3 tend to be tuned for mid-bit rate (128-192)

3. Mark Perry

Mark Perry Thread Starter

Thanks dugq.
    Guess i didnt word my post too well :(
    I can tell a slight difference between the mp3 and high (128) wma encoded tracks, but no difference between the 2 wma's (128 and 40-75 kbps)
    Maybe i should just take it as it is and enjoy a lot more music in the same file space :D

4. dugq

dugq

Like I said, its probably because of the way wma is designed, in that it is meant for low bit rates, so increasing the bit rate doesn't have an obvious effect. Also, mp3 and wma are different methods of encoding which use different models and techniques, therefore there may be obvious difference between the encoder but not the the same encoder with different bit-rates.

It also depends upon what you are listening to and listening on. Some tracks are far more easily encoded than other tracks. Also, listening on good equipment will help find a difference. I don't know what headphones you are using, but the ones that come with mp3 players generally aren't up to much. A more detailed listening setup will be more likely to discover faults in the encoding.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I normally rip my music for portable players in WMA format, I have 286 songs right now on my 512mb RIO player. :) While there may be a difference, I enjoy it just fine in this format, I don't notice any quality issues.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice