1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio File Question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by patmac, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    When I go to backup an audio CD, the files are showing up in windows explorer as .cda files, and they are all only 44bytes in size. I have never noticed this before, is this right?
    We use both Windows Media PLayer and Nero Express for burning etc, and in the past the files would show up with their actual file sizes, the 44 bytes seems strange to me, now all of a sudden. I unchecked "WMP is the default program" for all the files listed there, and all that did was remove the WMP icon next to the files.
    I did burn a disc after seeing this and it sounds ok and appears to have approximately the right number of minutes on it....
    So, any insight would be appreciated.
    Thank you for your time,
    patmac

2. Moby

Moby

What you are seeing in explorer is correct for an audio cd. The .cda files are just "markers" or "signposts" to the actual music files themselves which your computer can't see, even though they are a type of wav file. If you are just copying to another cd, you don't need to see the actual files, the copying software takes care of it. But you can't 'copy' an audio cd to your hard drive as such, you have to digitally extract (rip) the music to your hard drive in the format of your choice. Obviously your computer rips them to a format it can deal with/play/see. Pretty pointless otherwise ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice