1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Files Don't Play

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by redfishperson, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redfishperson

redfishperson Thread Starter

On Windows Vista Home Ultimate:

Just a couple of days ago, I discovered that my computer will not play any audio files (.wav, .mp3, .m4a, etc.) in any of my media player programs (iTunes, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, etc.). The files are not "broken" because I can open them in Adobe Audition (audio editor). They simply won't play. If I try Windows Media, I get this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

It then takes me to Microsoft's website, where I am told that I have "encountered error message C00D11D2." http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...&id=C00D11D2&contextid=87&originalid=80070005

Is there anyone on here who might be able to help me get my music back to working? Thanks!

2. Percey

Percey

Did it just happen out of the blue one day?

3. redfishperson

I hadn't listened to music for a few days. The last time I remember it working for sure was either this past Saturday or Sunday. Then, when I went to listen to something on Tuesday, it wouldn't play, and still doesn't as of yesterday and today. As far as I can remember, I haven't made any changes to my computer that might trigger any problems.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A quick fix might just be to run System Restore and look for a date that precedes it.

But to ask a few questions >> are these files all stored in the same location, or are they in different locations?

Are they in your personal User Account or someone elses?

Can you copy them to another location manually, say your desktop, and play them?

If you download or create or copy a NEW media file to the computer, will it play?

5. redfishperson

It's any file anywhere on the computer that doesn't work. If I create or download new files, they don't work either.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In the research of the error message for similar situations -- I really have not found any identified cause and solution when the "canned" one doesn't apply.

Again, have you tried System Restore?

7. redfishperson

I tried System Restore, but it didn't work. I even tried reinstalling Windows and reinstalling iTunes, and it's still not working.

8. Therion11

Therion11

Have you tried VLC? I've found that it can access audio files, for example, during mid-edit. So that might help narrow down the problem.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice