1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio gone after installing ASUS graphics card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by schrodinger, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrodinger

schrodinger Thread Starter

After my pc-to-monitor plug broke away from the motherboard connection, I installed an ASUS graphics card, which took over from the onboard Nvidia in my Windows XP Home Edition and restored the connection to my monitor. [IHowever,[/I] since then, I have had absolutely no sound. In "Sounds and Audio Devices" I discovered that Ati was listed as my default sound device, replacing the Realtek that was there before. It appeared to be playing in WMP, but no sound came out of the speakers.
    I did all the usual things ~ checked that it was enabled, not muted, updated the driver, and any number of other suggestions found on various forums. I re-installed Realtek, but when I re-booted... TA DA..there was Ati still. I then uninstalled Ati and tried again with Realtek. Now it just says no audio device installed. OH! and right from the beginning, it had that annoying "No Volume Control Program installed" window leaping up at me when I tried to put an icon in the task bar... which many have had a problem with, I know.

After 2 months of obsessively trying to fix this, I'm ready to take a hammer to my previously beloved computer. I now have neither Ati or Realtek installed, everything is just greyed-out in the sound and audio device window. Something must be incompatible with something, but I'm completely out of ideas on how to fix this, finally.
    Sorry to be so long-winded, but thought it better to be thorough off the bat. SAVE MY CHRISTMAS! (and my sanity!) Any ideas, pleeeeeeez?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm going to move this to hardware for better assistance.

3. schrodinger

schrodinger Thread Starter

Thanks for putting my question in the right place, AcaCandy ~ actually I did originally try to post my question in the 'Hardware' section, but a notice appeared saying it was in the wrong place, so I went to the next closest category. Go figure!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice