1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio input/microphone problem with Skype

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul-T, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul-T

Paul-T Thread Starter

I've just installed Skype for the first time on an HP laptop running Windows 8 . I can't get the microphone to work at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the external USB soundcard I use to record audio from a turntable and cassette player into my latop. This was a necessary addition when they stop having seperate sockets for audio in/out.
    When I plug the usb soundcard in, it does produce an additional microphone icon in 'sound' but enabling it doesnt make a difference.

Any suggestions for getting his working so I can be heard on Skype?

thanks in advance!

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You need to change which device is used for recording in the control panel. You should have more than one to choose from.

3. Paul-T

Paul-T Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. I only have one option in the recording panel which is 'headset mic' and it says not plugged in.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

So where do you think you have a mic plugged in?
    What is the model number of the laptop?

5. Antonmzhelskiy02

Antonmzhelskiy02

get a head set if that doesn't work replace your sound card

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice