Audio Is Muffled/Distorted

AwakenSouls77

Recently I ran the AVG driver updater, after it had run my audio has sound muffled or distorted ever since. I do not remember which drivers it had changed either. My audio setup was working perfectly before AVG driver updater, In my previous setup I used the Realtek Equalizer to optimize my audio, now using the equalizer makes it sound heavily distorted and over all the audio quality sounds very low, almost as if it is trying to force 5.1 or 7.1 through stereo but, I have checked and they are configured for stereo.

I have attempted the following in trying to fix it.

-Uninstalling current audio driver and letting windows update to the newest.
-Uninstalling current audio driver and manually installing the audio drivers from my motherboard manufactures websites.
-Uninstalling current audio driver and using the built in high definition driver.
-Uninstalling current audio driver and installing older Realtek drivers.
-Factory resetting my computer including personal files and programs.
-Turning off audio enhancements.
-Tuning off exclusive control within the sound settings.
-Adjusting the default audio format.

Last edited:

Oddba11

Jim
Have you tried a different output device?
What is the Realtek device status in Device Manager?

plodr

Liz
AVG driver updater
Please do yourself a favor and don't use 3rd part driver update programs! They create more problems then they solve. Drivers should only be update if you have a problem. And the first place you check for a newer driver is the manufacturer's website.

AwakenSouls77

I have tried different output devices. Such as my Razer Nari-Essential Headset which is also now muffled even within games. all audio output is affected. and it does say that it is properly working. Though I can definitely tell that something is not working.

And I do agree to not use them haha. Learned the hard way. I did have issues on my computer which is why I initially ran the program. I thought it would possibly help the other issues but, all it did was create more. I still have this issue and am working tirelessly to fix it.

New fixes I have tried is

-Running LatencyMon
-changing registry files to set my audio to MSI mode when they were not. (Suggestion from searching
LatencyMon errors.)
-Checked that Windows audio, AudioEndpointbuilder, and plug and play, are all on automatic and running

Last edited:

plodr

Liz
Have you gone to the PC manufacturer's site and downloaded the newest audio driver?

AwakenSouls77

The description of the issue describes every solution I have tried, many of them multiple times. And yes that is included in the list at the top. It is a self built PC so I must use the motherboard manufacturer's Drivers that they supply for the onboard audio. MSI Z390-A pro.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Under Sound... in Device Manager, right-click on the sound device > Properties > use the drop down arrow to select Hardware IDs, then search online for the top line it shows underneath, that should find the correct drivers for your sound as long as at least the VEN and DEV values match.

Last edited:

AwakenSouls77

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_14629B98&REV_1003

that is the top ID and it links me to the older 2018 version of the MSI onboard sound drivers, the only ones available from their site are the current 2021 version. I am currently not running the current ones as I was testing different Realtek versions. Though Before this issue had started, I was running the MSI Realtek drivers directly from their website for my motherboard and the sound was perfect. I will reinstall them as well just to be safe.

AwakenSouls77

I have installed it in the past several times, I reinstalled it to make sure but the issue is still there. sounds bad, I can not describe it well but it sounds scratchy or low quality, maybe distorted in a way. And sounds are kind of jumbled together now especially with music, it all kind of blends together and nothing really stands out. I also use the Realtek audio console for the equalizer as I always have, and now since the issue adjusting it does not have the same affect on the music or audio. Just before this issue started with running the AVG driver updater the audio from this computer with the same speakers sounded fine, just to clarify as well.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Are there any issues in Device Manager, such as any Unknown Devices or ! or ? characters ?

AwakenSouls77

Not in any of the categories. I check them all just to be sure. I have uninstalled the audio devices in the past and restarted my computer but that did not make a difference either.

Last edited:

Oddba11

Jim
You could also use the drivers supplied by Realtek. It doesn't have to be from the motherboard manufacturer. Just ensure that you choose the driver for your specific audio chipset.

If all else fails, restore to a known good date, restore from a known good backup, or a fresh install of Windows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online