1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio / LAN driver conflicts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddie99, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eddie99

Eddie99 Thread Starter

Please Help...

I just reformatted my computer due to some registry issues with my ROM drives. Everything went smoothly until it came time to install the LAN and Audio Drivers. It seems that every audio driver that I install confilicts with the LAN driver somehow. Upon booting after the audio driver is installed, my sound goes wonky about 95% of the time. It does not seem to matter what driver I use. (ie. off the motherboard CD, downloaded off net, windows recommended, etc.) As soon as this problem happens, sound no longer works at all, and my internet connection ceases to work.

On the other side, the LAN driver that I got off the net seems to work ok until I attempt to download something. Sometimes a complete download will happen, but more often, the download will "hang" half way through. Again, once this happens, I cannot access the net until I reboot, or sometimes I even have to reinstall the driver.

Both drivers have been assigned an IRQ of 9, which is also shared with "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant System".

Device Manager tells me that both devices are working properly, when clearly they are not.

Not sure what to do.....I'm kind of green at this stuff....someone suggested a BIOS flash ???

Also, they somehow seem related, but even if I uninstall the Audio driver, the internet connection quits on me alot too. It just stops even if I am not downloading anything.

Any help / suggestions are appreciated.

PS. My motherboard is series "P6IWT-Me".

Severely Frustrated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi eddie, welcome to TSG.

What operating system are you running?

Post a listing of your IRQs.

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok. Go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

This won't work if you're running '95.

3. Eddie99

Eddie99 Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional.

The System Information window did not have and edit/select all option, but here are my IRQ settings.

IRQ Number Device

9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    9 DAVICOM PCI Fast Ethernet Based Adapter
    9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Unievesal Host Controller
    12 Multimedia Audio Controller
    12 PCI Simple Communications Controller
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    13 Numeric data processor
    6 Standard floppy disk controller
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2...
    ...keyboard
    10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    14 Primary IDE Channel
    15 Secondary IDE Channel

Some things to note: Audio driver was uninstalled before last reboot so that I could access the net with fewer problems. I also have a CD-RW that is not currently connected, but will be as soon as my problems are resolved.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.

Eddie:p

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are the sound and NIC integrated into the motherboard or are they seperate PCI cards. If they are onboard you should be able to assign them in the BIOS, if not go into the BIOS and disable the ACPI and change the interupts in the device manager.

I thought it read Microsoft ACPI "Complaint" system.....LOL
    wouldn't that be great if they had us hard wired to a complaint line!!

5. Eddie99

Eddie99 Thread Starter

Hi,

Sound and LAN card are both integrated on the motherboard.

Not to sound too stupid, but is it possible for you to walk me through that procedure??? I can access the BIOS w/o a problem, but from there I'm not too sure where to go. I don't wan't to cause more problems than good.

Next question, which one(s) do I assign new IRQ numbers to, what numbers should I use, and will my CD-RW be able to be installed afterward??

Someone on another forum suggested that I attempt to reinstall Windows 98, get the drivers for that, and then upgrade to Windows 2000. Does that sound like the best solution??

Lastly, I have neglected to mention thus far that several times during the install/reboot process for the drivers, my system shuts down abruptly, and then reboots from the start. It is quite weird.

The whole thing is weird in that I have been running the system somewhat successfully for 6 months with the same set up. It was fine until I corrupted my registry somehow. That is what prompted me to "slate" the system. Now problems are all over the place.

Thanks for any more info.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice