1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio not playing from mp3s

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by himalayasplaya, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. himalayasplaya

himalayasplaya Thread Starter

hey guys, im running on a toshiba laptop right now that uses windows xp. I checked the sound properties, and nothing is on mute. I tested the audio using dxdiag and everything works fine. I reinstalled the audio drivers but nothign is fixing it.

The main problem is that when i click on an mp3 that was workin 2 days ago, I get no audio. All my mp3s from my collection do not work. However, my sound card is working because it plays the login sound and others. Any suggestions?? im currently running an avast scan and ad-aware scan. if i cant resolve the issues soon im gonna just clean format and start from scratch.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which version of Windows? Which Service Pack?

Which version of WMP?

Using WMP, rip a commercial music CD, to create new mp3 files.
    Can you play them, using WMP?

Which audio player are you using?

Can you relate the onset of the problem to the installation or removal of hardware or software, to include updates from Microsoft, your AntiVirus program, other? Have you cleaned or changed the registry lately? I am NOT suggesting that you clean or adjust the registry.

RF123

3. himalayasplaya

XP Service Pack 2

I use winamp, but the files also failed in windows media.

no i cannot relate the problem to a hardware/software issue. However, I got this program Registry Easy recently, and I ran it a few times and it claimed to have found 1000s of errors which it fixed. any correlation.. you tell me?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Probably a correlation.

Using WMP, rip a commercial music CD, to create new mp3 files.
    Can you play them, using WMP?

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

6. Broni

Broni

I'd never trust a program, which found 1000 registry errors. Maybe, they want to prove, it's worth 35 bucks.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

--->>How to change which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP
    -->>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

To Set WMP Default Their Is A Easy Way

Start > Run > %SystemRoot%\Inf\unregmp2.exe /SetWMPAsDefault

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Good to know there is an easy way.

10. himalayasplaya

update. i tried running the "sfc /scannow" command(i got this advice from googling)...now the windows file protection program says "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now."

However, I am running Windows XP MCE... I tried using the 2 recovery disks they gave with the laptop, but that didn't work...any way around this??

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You have to have the SP2 disk and you would have to either make a slipstreamed disk with SP2 on it or remove SP2 and revert back to the previous state the computer was before installing SP2.

Personally I do not think that this is the problem. I think that the sound got its sound settings messed up. THis happened to me and I had to check all of the programs that I have that uses sound and make sure all of them were set to use the proper sound device (Card) that is installed into the computer. To check this just open the programs one at a time and check the properties and what device it is supposed to use (It should use the installed sound card) make the change and save and exit and then reboot the computer and giove the MP3 a shot.

12. himalayasplaya

can u explain a lil more clearly how to go about doing this..particularly for winamp or windows media?

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

RIGHT click "my computer"
    Left click "properties".
    Do you see Win XP Media Center 2002 or 2005?
    In post #3 of this thread, you indicated that your computer is running SP2.

Use google or yahoo & search for: "windows xp" slipstreaming
    USE THE QUOTES ""

Go here
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Recovering_Windows_XP.htm#self
    Bottom of the page, reference to nLite
    http://www.nliteos.com/

Using Bart PE to create a CD
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Recovering_Windows_XP.htm#self
    How to use BartPE to create a bootable Windows XP CD if your PC doesn't have one

Microsoft stipulates that every PC bundled with Windows XP must provide a method of restoring it in the event of an irrecoverable system crash. However, many manufacturers or system builders still bundle Windows XP Recovery CDs that return the PC's hard drive to the condition it was in when it left the factory. This usually wipes out all of the data files and the installed programs that the user has added.
    Fortunately, many major PC manufacturers and builders are no longer providing data-wiping Recovery CDs. For example, new PCs from manufacturers such as Dell, Gateway, and Lenovo (the new owners of IBM laptops) are providing a Windows XP CD, or some other way of performing non-destructive reinstallations.
    If a particular PC lacks a Windows XP CD, a folder named i386 that contains the Windows installation files will almost certainly be found in the root directory of the C: drive - C:\ - or in the C:\Windows\Driver Cache folder. A Windows XP system will probably have several i386 folders. The one you need has plenty of files with their extensions ending in underscores (_), and the executable files expand.exe, regedit.exe, and winnt32.exe. It is advisable to copy this i386 folder to a recordable CD or DVD disc in case the files on the PC get damaged. The i386 folder on the hard drive is used to reinstall Windows XP, so write the path to it on the CD-R disc so that you know where to copy it if that should prove necessary. You need the 25-character Windows XP Product Key in order to reinstall Windows. The key can be found on the back or side of a desktop PC, on the bottom of a notebook PC, and it it may be listed in the user manual the came with the computer. A bootable CD/DVD for starting the installation process is also required. A BartPE CD is the best one to use.
    To reinstall Windows XP, start the computer and enter its BIOS setup program by pressing the required entry key(s). Make the CD/DVD drive the first boot device. Save and exit. (Don't forget to make the hard drive the first boot device afterward Windows has been reinstalled.) If you have the BartPE CD in the CD/DVD drive, it will now boot the system when the system restarts. Click Go => Programs => A43 File Management Utility. Navigate to the i386 folder on the hard drive (not the i386 folder on the CD). Double-click on the winnt32.exe file to start the installation process. When the installation program closes, reboot the PC, remove the CD, and select Microsoft Windows XP Setup from the resulting boot menu. The installation process should pick up from where it left off.
    BartPE plugins
    Many plugins are available that you can add to the BartPE CD in order to increase what it can achieve. To find them, enter bartpe + plugins in the Google search box at the top of this page with its Web radio button enabled. Here is a site that offers such plugins:
    BartPE Plugin Repository - http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Repository.php

Bart's PE builder
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

h:
    Are you familiar with Windows XP's system restore? This is DIFFERENT than the "system recovery" offered by some computer manufacturers.

Have you run system restore since your problem began?

If you are unfamiliar with System Restore, please read this tutorial.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html

How would you describe your computer abilities; beginner; intermediate; advanced; expert; guru?

RF123

15. himalayasplaya

dont sweat it.. i caved and jus clean installed xp.. no more issues now

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!