1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio not working

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rick_g, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

Something has happened to my computer I can no longer use audio in chat or hear the audio in emails or listen to Cd's. Have followed all the helps in yahoo audio wizard. Say compression codes are not set went through and reset them. Any suggestions. When i use my headset i can hear myself but cannot connect to chat.

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

Go into the control panel>system>device manager and click on the + beside sound,video and game controllers. Check for yellow ! or ? beside you audio devices. If ! ? are present you'll need to reinstall or update the audio device drivers. :) Have you onboard or pci sound card??

3. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

Checked what you said and that all checks out. No yellow ! or ?. I have an onboard sound card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Does this ONLY happen in your chat program? Which chat program are you using?

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

What OS are you running?
    How long ago did this happen?

6. A Hawk

A Hawk

You or somone else hasn't muted the sound by accident.

7. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

I cant use audio for anything not cd's, not email, not chat, It says its already in use. And when I restart I can hear that is hangs up. But dont know how to correct it. Don't know what OS will as my husband when he gets back..went in under his ID.

8. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

running windows 98. This started about 2 wks ago

9. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

sound has not been muted

10. rick_g

rick_g Thread Starter

I cant use audio for anything not cd's, not email, not chat, It says its already in use. And when I restart I can hear that is hangs up. But dont know how to correct it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice