1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio playback 'lags' when accessing external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EmptyChild, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EmptyChild

EmptyChild Thread Starter

My apologies if this particular problem has been posted before. I used the Search button and have even tried searching the net but have found nothing that can help me, and so I'm hoping some of you can.

My problem is that whenever I transfer files from my external hard drive (Maxtor, DiamondMax 10, 160GB) to my C drive, whilst playing music in any audio player (in any format, I believe) the playback 'lags' and sometimes even stops until the transfer is complete.

The external hard drive is farely new (I'd say about 6 months) and has been causing this problem from the start. And so I formatted my PC in hopes of solving the problem, but it hasn't.

Any ideas as to how I can stop this? Or perhaps point me in the direction to someone who can help? I've put up with this problem for quite a while now, but it would be great to finally sort it out. I use Windows XP. If there are any other details you need, let me know and I will get back to you with it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Get a faster computer. That's the only way to fix what you got going on. A dual core with at least 1 gb of RAM will stop the problem.

3. EmptyChild

Well, that's too bad - I don't have the money to splash out on another computer. Thanks for replying though.

So, there's absolutely nothing that can be done to change this?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't use the external disk. :D

USB External disks use a lot of processor power when they're actually doing a transfer, the nature of the beast.

5. guitar

guitar Banned

is the music your playing on the external drive if so and your moving files to or from the external it will lag try playing one from your c:drive

6. EmptyChild

I should probably state that my hard drive is a removable one - I guess I thought 'external' was the word for it but it doesn't use a USB cable.

The music can be played on either C Drive or the removable drive and still lag. Also, when I play music from my removable drive while NOT transferring anything, the playback is still a bit jumpy.

Sorry for the confusion!

7. guitar

guitar Banned

what sort of comp do you have cpu and ram?

8. EmptyChild

The computer's a home built one but it has an IWill motherboard - not sure on the number yet but will hopefuly get back to you with it.

CPU: AMD Athlon 1700
    RAM: 512 MBRAM

9. EmptyChild

Well, the problem's solved although the solution certainly wasn't easy. After deciding to format my computer again (I'm forever doing this XD ) my dad decided to add another 256 MBRAM to the previous 512.

He also found that the cable connected to my remvoable hard drive was actually an old one (hence slow transfer) and replaced it with a new one. And lastly, he changed the cables around because I had one cable plugged into both of my CD drives and another plugged into both the C drive and the removable one. Now, each cable has been plugged into one CD drive and one hard drive.

I can play music on my removable drive without it going jumpy, AND I can play music while transfering files too! XD The transfer rate has increased aswell which is a bonus. Over all - I'm extremely happy now... except that my dad managed to erase my removable drive in the process... :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice