1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheSugarMan, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheSugarMan

TheSugarMan Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am not familiar with the preferred format for posting problems, so I apologize in advance for any inconveniences I may bring. I know next to nothing in regards to hardware troubleshooting by the way.

I had an issue today involving sound. 5/1/15 in the AM, I had used my computer and it functioned as it normally would, and I shut it down as normal. In the PM, my computer would turn on but my graphics card had issues running. I had a source I contacted over the phone to help me figure out what to do, and jumping the motherboard and disconnecting and reconnecting the graphics card before and after, respectively, and tampering with the BIOS seemed to do the trick.

Now my Logitech speakers will not play any audio I tried, including the Windows notification sounds. I looked at my Audio Devices page, (view Sound.jpg attachment) and it states that my speakers are not plugged in. I have Realtek, and usually when I plug in a device, a pop-up notification prompt requests what device was plugged in, although there is no response when I plug in or remove the back panel plugs, and the front panel headphone/microphone jacks. Driver updates and rollbacks did not do the trick.

From what I read, there is a problem where audio is disabled in the BIOS, but I do not see where to enable/disable peripherals? I think it is safe to rule out driver issues, and I think the problem is hardware-based, although I am not certain.

On a separate note, I have encountered a strange new problem that I think is separate yet coincidentally simultaneous. My speakers receive and emit a random local radio station. When I rotate the cords, the volume/clarity changes accordingly, although the audio cannot be altered by volume adjustments on the computer, and will only stop if unplugged or no power source is given. From what I read online, it can be an issue amplified by having the cords parallel to AC cables, or something, although I have not altered the position of any of my cords/cables and this is a new issue. Do you have any suggestions for preventing this?

Also I attached my DxDiag if that helps.

Thank you so much for the assistance,
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. I need you to develop on this please

1. What jumping - please explain in detail what you did
    2. tampering with BIOS - what have you changed - detail is needed
    3. disconnecting and reconnecting graphics card, both before and after the above - not with the power on I presume

2. Have you checked that the speakers are definitely connected to the right port on the rear I/O panel, normally for a two speaker setup the light green coloured jack

3. What please is the make and full model of the computer

4. There is in some BIOS setups - a setting enable onboard audio
    That is there so that with a separate sound card connected - the onboard audio can be disabled
    when you send the make and full model I may be able to advise you further on that.

5. Both your screenshot and the DXDiag show the Digital output as being the default device - that is nothing to do with your speakers.

6. I suspect this is a driver issue but until I know what you did as I asked above it is difficult to decide the way forward

Re the local radio station - it is a cable perhaps the speaker cable close to the source of the item acting as the antennae - aerial, picking up the radio signal.
    WE CAN EXMAINE THAT IF AND WHEN WE GET THE SOUND WORKING

Finally
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy and there was no need for any apology the format is great

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

a quick question SugarMan::::
    how close to the radio station do U live---
    or their Repeater Tower???
    the one you can hear some times over your speakers--
    2nd question--does anybody in your neighborhood have a private tower / Arial set up in their back yard ????

never received radio stations on my house appliances but I have received HAM radio / Citizen Band radio
    over the old console cabinet type TVs before & what made us laugh (for awhile ) was the Toaster.
    the heating coils in the Toaster are just right to resonate sound if the Tower / Arial signal is strong enough &
    close enough---
    the city finally made the guy take his Tower/Arial down because of too many complaints----
    City said he exceeded city height codes--
    James

4. TheSugarMan

Thank you all for the quick reply! I'll try to clarify the things still in question:

My word choice was really confusing! I wrote it at 2:00 AM my time and I was tired, I apologize. Here's a better wording that may clarify what we did:
    The motherboard was giving a signal that it was testing the CPU and checked out okay but none of the other lights for the memory for the graphics card or the disk drive even came on. Nothing came to the display and the fans didn't really power up or anything. Over the phone, we did a reset of the motherboard by resetting the blue jumper. I had removed the graphics card in the process (reinserted it afterward, and during this process, it was powered off and unplugged.. I also made sure everything was connected properly, and I did manage to find a few connections that were not all the way connected, which was easily fixed. That seemed to work and it booted up fine after changing a few settings in the BIOS. I had changed the mode from normal to high performance, and also moved around the boot priority, as I have two hard drives (one is a back up).

Yes, I have, I actually have five, and they are properly connected.

I use a hodgepodge of parts, it is assembled, so I do not know if there is a proper way to cite this.
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard (no sound card, the sound is integrated I do believe)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Graphics Card
    BIOS: 2301
    AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
    I use Wacom Cintiq 24" HD Interactive Pen Display as my primary monitor and have an LG monitor for my secondary.
    I also use Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, if that helps.

I tried looking through both the simple and advanced BIOS menus and did not find anything about integrated peripherals for the sound...

Oh, good point. I have a Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer. I cannot set speakers as my default device since it doesn't recognize anything is plugged in. That's what I was trying to show if that makes sense. I found out today that it recognizes speakers are plugged in, in the playback devices window (the one I sent as a thumbnail), altough still no sound other than the radio. Also, there is no response when I plug in headphones in the front jack. The radio plays through it though.

I went to the manufacturer's sites for nvidia and realtek drivers, so I doubt it is a driver issue, although you obviously know more than me!

I think it is that. No idea how to prevent this! It's funny but annoying. It is blaring a local 24/7 Christian music/sermon station, so... Also, doesn't make sense since I have not relocated anything and this is a new issue.

Also:
    I have no idea, but it is a bigger station, the city-wide Christian music/sermon station. I think it might have to do with the alignment of the cables along my walls? I don't think this is a personal tower that I am receiving though!

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it! I'm a video editor and Can't work on my videos without my sound, so this is really important to me, and you are helping me a lot.

5. Macboatmaster

There is a section in BIOS setup
    Onboard device configuration

On the online manual downloaded pdf it is in the index on section 3.5.7.
    as usual with these bios guides in manuals, it is difficult to determine -exactly, but it certain covers HD Audio

what is shown in device manager for sound video and game controllers

Also it was only on the second read of your last post that I found this IMPORTANT change
    If recognises them -what has changed from when it did not recognise them
    If they are NOT set default device - can they be
    Is volume ON and at appropriate level
    If it now recognises speakers there - what is the indication
    ARE they as I said set default device
    right click the speaker entry, click properties, click levels

Please note - volume on harmonic frequency reception eg your unwanted radio station is not directly connected with volume on playback as above and of course the level there is not - the vol on the actual speaker control, if they are so equipped

BY that I mean the vol on the actual speakers can be full and there will still be no sound if the volume level as above is
    set fully left on slider and showing 0 in small window

6. TheSugarMan

Thanks, I'll check that out and let you know the outcome!

NVIDIA High Definition Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio

I have no idea, after a reboot (not the first since this problem, but I rebooted randomly), it appeared. I set it as the default device, and it isn't playing anything. I did check the volume levels and did go under levels, and everything is unmuted and turned up. In the playback devices window, it shows as one of the devices: "Speakers (in grey subtext: Realtek High Definition Audio)". When I go to the speaker properties, I see a General, Levels, Enhancements, DTS UltraPC II and Advanced tabs. What is the DTS UltraPC II? I cannot do anything on that tab except for an "about" button, stating it is manufactured under license from DTS Licensing Limited.

Yes, I have noticed that, although the physical volume knob for my speakers does not affect the volume of playback of the radio, although fiddling with the cords and moving them does.

Thanks, understood.

I appreciate it, and will let you know in an edit of this post if I find any worthwhile notes from changing in the BIOS like how you described.

7. Macboatmaster

please do not edit it
    make a new post
    if you edit it, I do not know, as I do receive a notification
    When I asked what was shown in device manager for them
    I should have added
    and are there any warnings against any entries

Try just two standard speakers in the line out port

8. TheSugarMan

Alright, I will make a new post, thanks.

What do you mean by warnings against entries? It claims that it is the default device, although when I test the speakers in the 5.1 surround setting, there is no response from any speakers, and it says that this format is not supported by this device.

I also noticed something. My speakers, on the volume knob, have a "Matrix mode" button, in which the Matrix mode in Logitech X540 5.1 mixes all left-right stereo sounds into surround sound. When I press this button, the radio sounds go away.

9. Macboatmaster

In device manager
    if there is something the system recognises as wrong
    there will be a yellow or red warning
    Please do try the two speaker only setup as I mentioned.

Please also confirm that these conne3ctions are on the I/O plate and not on a separate sound card

10. TheSugarMan

Hey,

There is no separate sound card, it's on the I/O Plate.
    There isn't a red/yellow warning either.

I went into the BIOS again and saw these options:

HD Audio Azalia Device: Enable/Disable (it was enabled)
    Azalia Front Panel: HD/AC97 (it was HD)
    SPDIF Out Type: SPDIF/HDMI (it was SPDIF)

Also

Realtek Lan Controller: Enabled/Disabled (it was enabled)
    Realtek PXE OPROM: Disabled/Enabled (it was disabled)

Does any of this look helpful? Thanks again for the help

11. TheSugarMan

I saw no difference when I tried this. It didn't recognize any new devices when plugging it in, and there was no audio either.

12. Macboatmaster

Cheers Cannot remember now if this has been done
    control panel
    troubleshooting
    hardware and sound
    troubleshoot
    audio playback

13. TheSugarMan

I had forgotten to mention that I had done this already! When I troubleshoot, it says: "The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection. Proceed to next step to finish." They are plugged in, however. and if I hit the next button, it says a problem is found, in that "the speaker, headset or headphones are unplugged".

I think there may be a hardware issue making the connection not occur in either the front or back panels. Is there a way to check for this?

14. Macboatmaster

also
    go
    control panel
    admin tools
    services

please see this post and check those service as shown
    http://forums.techguy.org/9076421-post2.html

and is that troubleshoot SINCE they suddenly appeared
    in playback devices

15. TheSugarMan

Thanks, I did enable all devices and have shown all hidden devices, but the problem is that it says no devices are plugged in. And yes. I also did troubleshoot since you suggested it, and immediately after, the "speakers" device is not listed as not plugged in, so I can't select it as the default device.

Also, the Administrative tools does not list any audio tools, not even the Windows Audio ones.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice