1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Reflex Record Player Not Turning

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Evanco, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

Hello, I am trying to repair an Audio Reflex record player of the DD-1979 make. The issue is thus: the turntable will not spin at all when the tone arm is placed on the record (there is no power switch, just the tone arm is supposed to activate the motor). I have tried oiling the motor, but it has made absolutely no difference; the motor is still completely dead. I know that the power supply is okay because the light goes on, and I visually checked both fuses to find that the filaments within were still intact. The capacitors did not seem to be bulging or leaking in any way. It is important to note that if the 33/45 switch is pressed while the power is on, the turntable does spin about an inch or two.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

Thank you. I am an amateur, so I am not sure if this will help me, but I will give it a go.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm an amateur too. There are some voltages on the schematic which could help if you use a multimeter to check them.

5. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

I do have a multimeter; the fact that the platter turned when I pressed the 33/45 switch is indicative that the motor is still getting power.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's true. I think you could work back from the motor checking voltages looking for any that are obviously wrong, but it's quite a complicated circuit. You could start swapping in new components if you can't think of anything better.

Do you know how to test diodes and transistors with a multimeter ?

7. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

Yes, but I don't have spare components on hand right now. I can't just swap them out, so I'll just have to check them.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Good luck with it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice