1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio skip is killin' me! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RopeWorks, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RopeWorks

RopeWorks Thread Starter

Hi.

Hope you can help with a problem which is driving me batty at this point.

This machine had been out of my reach until a couple weeks ago as I was out of country, and thought I had left it in safe hands... not so! The first thing I noticed was a skip/gurgle/umph in audio. This happens in all forms of media, in all types of formats. As I began the process of identifying the cause, I came across the fact that this was used for gaming and MANY huge files were downloaded along with a couple hundred malware issues. These were addressed out-of-house via an online-guru. I then downloaded MalWareBytes and SpyBot for simple self defense measures.

I didn't realize this about the bug, until I had started the process of reconfiguring way Windows used to navigate before these issues. I'm sure things will never be quite the same in this regard. I've gotten to the point where I can address the first issue, the audio bug. I have pages of notes and below you will see most of the things I have done and tried... some may have been omitted in this list.

First the bug... I've come to realize that it rears it's annoying head when the CPU runs. The harder it works, the more the bug gets excited and the more ******-off I get! Skips, gurgles, jumps and umphs more as the CPU works harder. Audio bug is obviously in synch (or direct opposition) to/with CPU useage.

Recent Changes,Fixes & Updates (not in order of occurance):
    - SP3 Update
    - All Driver updates using UniBlue Systems tool and Dell Support download.
    - Registry repair using UniBlue Systems tool.
    - Reconfigurations using UniBlue Systems and RegWorks tools.
    - Numerous Microsoft FixIt solutions.
    - MalWare installation, scan & quarantine. (I understand several symptoms regarding program accessability still occure due to malicious infections yet several have been overcome.)
    - Installation of RealPlayer & MPC as counter-check devices to Windows Media Player & Media Center..
    - Installation of SoundBlaster as counter-check to SigmaTel HDA.
    - Reinstalled all audio and video drivers, codecs, and audio and video related software
    - Removed unnecessary software from my system (old games, freeware, etc)
    - Scanned several times with different online and offline antivirus programs
    - Scanned several times with different malware and ad-aware programs, cleaned everything there was to clean. Still nothing.
    - Updated Windows with every single patch I could find.
    - Created a secondary user account with admin privileges.. still same audio problem.
    - Cleaned my registry several times with various registry fixing software
    - Defragmented HDD twice!
    - Ran all diagnostic test that Dell includes at startup (from battery tests to full mem tests).
    - Updated BIOS from Dell support.
    - Checked VM setting and ran counter-check.
    - Removed TrendMicrocillin and installed Norton.
    - Ran Pre-Boot System Diagnostic and used Dell Support to resolve errors to LCD issues. (PSA 1000-0321 & -0322)
    - Ran Safe Boot and every boot configuration that made sense with counter-tests, to no avail.

This machine was working perfectly prior to leaving country and I used it for editing small video projects. If I could I would give up, but it is far from the budget and I need this for my work... otherwise it would have been airborn days (and a few hundred dollars later) ago!

This is the machine:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 502 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38138 MB, Free - 13972 MB; D: Total - 12739 MB, Free - 8665 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KD882, , .DWRXXB1.CN4864368V3669.
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus Online, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Yes, with the help of an external HD, I fare (fared) rather well editing on this old thing!

Any ideas? I'm running out of options on this one and the coiffers are kind of empty untill I get her up and running.

Sure appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Using Registry Repair tools often does more damage than it fixes. It may be time to do a Factory Restore on the computer if you still have that option available.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice