audio skipping/stuttering/crackling/popping problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moog

hi all. i made a post similar to this one before in the hardware section but im starting to doubt its a hardware problem. i have a creative audigy platinum 2 ex sound card that started to crackle and pop when i played sound in winamp. it wasnt too big a deal at first but it became louder and more invasive after a while. so i figured my sound card was the problem. so i got an m-audio audiophile 24/96 card and the problem was still there. this is terrible for me as i use a lot of audio editing/multitracking software. and these programs would also stutter and crackle whether i was recording audio or just playing back. so i figured whatever ill use the onboard soundcard for a while, but even that one is doing the same thing. with winamp the crackling wasnt as often as with the creative/m-audio cards. when i use any audio editing software however it would crackle a little then the whole comuter started to slow down. i made a habit of keeping task manager open while using the software to check what was eating up the cpu and it was the audio program. but i noticed if i closed the audio program quick enough the cpu load would transfer to another program and if i closed that program it would transfer to another program for a few seconds, usually my antivirus. another problem i have is with youtube. about a minute into any video the sound stutters so it sounds almost like an echo and the video along with it. in task manager it shows iexplorer.exe using 100% cpu. ive tried everything: i updated all my drivers, made sure my hdds are in ultra dma mode, switched out various pci devices (video card, sound cards, network cards). i read all over the internet and tried almost everything. i thought it might be irq interrupts because both my sound and video cards were on 18 with my creative card but with m-audio they were on seperate irqs. plus even my onboard soundcard stutters! please, i know this is a long and boring post but the last thing i want to do is to have to reinstall windows and all my software. if anyone has any ideas id be more than grateful. thanks.

moog said:
audigy platinum 2 ex sound card that started to crackle and pop when i played sound in winamp. it wasnt too big a deal at first but it became louder and more invasive after a while. so i figured my sound card was the problem. so i got an m-audio audiophile 24/96 card and the problem was still there. this is terrible for me as i use a lot of audio editing/multitracking software. and these programs would also stutter and crackle whether i was recording audio or just playing back. so i figured whatever ill use the onboard soundcard for a while, but even that one is doing the same thing. with winamp the crackling wasnt as often as with the creative/m-audio cards. when i use any audio editing software however it would crackle a little then the whole comuter started to slow down. i made a habit of keeping task manager open while using the software to check what was eating up the cpu and it was the audio program. but i noticed if i closed the audio program quick enough the cpu load would transfer to another program and if i closed that program it would transfer to another program for a few seconds, usually my antivirus. another problem i have is with youtube. about a minute into any video the sound stutters so it sounds almost like an echo and the video along with it. in task manager it shows iexplorer.exe using 100% cpu. ive tried everything: i updated all my drivers, made sure my hdds are in ultra dma mode, switched out various pci devices (video card, sound cards, network cards). i read all over the internet and tried almost everything. i thought it might be irq interrupts because both my sound and video cards were on 18 with my creative card but with m-audio they were on seperate irqs. plus even my onboard soundcard stutters! please, i know this is a long and boring post but the last thing i want to do is to have to reinstall windows and all my software. if anyone has any ideas id be more than grateful. thanks.
Having tried every possible thing, I hope someone just has a straightforward fix, here. I'd be interested to see it, too.

If this were happening to me, I might be tempted to get another hard drive, perform a fresh install, and try again. Then copy all the data files back, maybe even a few program settings. It's a pain to reinstall, because it means not only the hassle of setting up drivers again, but of installing ALL the assorted programs one typically uses, reregistering, and so on.

I would think a fresh install would remove all question, except for a hardware fault with the MB, PSU? I don't know.

Hi Moog

Alas, don't have an answer for you but if it cheers you up any, i'm having similar problems - and i've just got a new HDD,CPU,MB,RAM,PSU and XP.
I've been having hassle getting powerDVD7.2 to play my video - plays video but no audio.
Have been thinking it's codec problem but haven't seen anything too apparent - works ok in Real player and WMP. - at least it used to. I tried uninstalling dvd7.2 and replace with powerDVD6. unfortunately that didn't work and has resulted in audio being rather crackley in Winamp, Real and WMP
Have as a shortcut just reinstalled to an earlier restore point and as long as I don't touch dvd7.2 things seem to be ok.

So the long and the short of it, I too will be interested to see if anyone is able to come up with a solution to your problem. With a bit of luck it won't be your hardware failing.

Good Luck

moog

ok so i bit the bullet and did a clean install of xp. i reinstalled my main audio program and its still crackling and popping. ive tried using just one of each of my sticks of ram and it still does the same. anyone have any ideas id really appreciate it. thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online