1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio sound problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charliekim, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charliekim

charliekim Thread Starter

i don't know what to do anymore. whenever i play a cd in my cd drive, there would be no sound coming out. when i play a playlist from winamp, it plays. by the way, the speakers are plugged into the onboard sound device. i've installed a pci sound card from soundblaster, and when i plug in the speakers to the sound card, the cd plays but the playlist won't. i don't know what to do anymore? i've disabled the onboard sound in the bios and plugged in the speakers to the sound card, my playlist won't play but the cd will.

so basically one will work, while the other won't no matter what combination i try..

help please....

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi CharlieKim,

I, like you, experienced some fun when I installed a Soundblaster on my mobo which has onboard.

What OS are you using? It sounds like you've not found the sound options and set them up as required. There are all sorts of options to chose from - such as where you want the audio output to go when using certain applications.

3. charliekim

charliekim Thread Starter

i am using windows 98

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I take it you have the appropriate AudioHQ installed from Creative?

Have you installed the audio lead on the CD-Rom or are you just running through the IDE?

I'm very rusty on 98 sorry - XP and 2000 only

5. coover

coover

To play CDs on your computer, you need to connect your CD-ROM directly through to your sound card. CDs are not played from the motherboard. Do you have such a connection?

6. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I use my PC as my main media player but I don't have any direct connection between the CD-ROM and the soundcard. I just play through a software media player.
    As Coozer says, if you wish to effectively bypass the OS you need the audio connection lead. In order to do this however, your cd-rom must have cd control buttons on its fascia. - not all do.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    if you have a pci sound card, use it rather than the onboard audio. There is a small wire that runs from the cd-rom to the sound card make sure its plugged into the soundblaster and its plugged in the right way. Then i would disable onboard sound in the bios(press f1, f2, f10, del, etc). Next go to control panel, sounds and multimedia and select the sound blaster card as the preferred audio device. now you should be able to play cd's and mp3's on the same sound card.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice