1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Audio Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraMJ, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

My twin nieces have the same laptop, both are HP Pavilions, bought just a few months ago for college. Bethany's laptop stopped having any audio from one day to the next. I did some searching and found that October's update messed up many people's audio and the fix was to reinstall the audio drivers. So, I uninstalled the audio drivers, went to the HP website, had the website scan the laptop and find drivers. It found two, one from March and one from August. I downloaded and installed the August one but it did not fix it. Then I tried the March one and it did not fix it. I uninstalled (rebooting after each uninstall and install) and then installed the August one again, and it started working.

Two days later, Audrey's laptop lost it's sound. I did the same thing of uninstalling the driver, going to to the website, installing the latest driver, but it did not work. Just like with the first one, I tried both, more than once, but on Audrey's laptop, nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I rather think this is the same update issue, since it happened within days of each other and they are the same laptop (though of course, there are different programs and software installed on the two, I imagine). But other than uninstalling and installing the latest driver from HP, I'm don't know what else to do.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

I don't have any computers running Windows 10 yet. The following is what I do in other operating systems.

1) Inspect line out jack it should not move. If line out jack moves, re-soldered the jack, but be careful.
    2) Connect known working headphones to line out jack
    3) Go through mixer settings. Make sure its not muted and volume is adjusted until audio is heard.
    4) If audio is not heard, check if desire audio output is the default. Then repeat 3.

The following are other steps that should get you closer fixing the audio issues.
    Code:
    https://fossbytes.com/windows-10-guide-how-to-fix-audio-issues-in-windows-10-pcs/

Contact HP since the computers are new.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the audio chipset status in Device Manager?

I'm just wanting to ensure the chipset is actually still recognized.

4. LauraMJ

There were no yellow exclamation points in the device manager. I'll check the chipset info tomorrow, I should have access to it tomorrow.

Since she needs this for her classes, it's hit and miss when I have access to it. Do you, or anyone, have a few suggestions or things to check that can be listed here that I can work on tomorrow as soon as I get the laptop? If I can run through several things and report back, it would save time.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Assuming the chipset is listed in Device Manager, then it's at least being recognized.

I would download the newest driver from HP and place it some place handy.

Uninstall the device from Device Manager, reboot, and install the newest driver.

You may also want to review the audio settings to ensure the audio chipset is still set as default.

Also, most laptops have speakers. I'm assuming that audio is being tested via the internal speakers AND a headset. It's possible for the chipset to fail in a way which one or the other works and the other doesn't.

6. LauraMJ

As explained above, I have done that three or four times. Still no sound.

I've done that, and yes, it is default.

I did test the first laptop with both, but this second laptop did not have a headset handy at that time, so just the internal speakers were tested. We'll try a headset today.

7. LauraMJ

Well, she shut it off after we worked on it Wednesday evening, then turned it on the next morning for class and suddenly there is sound. Still sound today, so maybe the driver needed to have a complete shut down and boot up, rather than just a simple restart. Dunno, but it now seems to be working.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice