1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Stuttering and Crackling on Two Different Sound Cards

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cflorez, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cflorez

cflorez Thread Starter

Problem description: Something is seriously going wrong with my computer. I've been using Ableton Live (A digital audio workstation for creating music), and usually I have absolutely no problems whatsoever. However, I decided to look through some old songs that had VST plugins I uninstalled, and when I started doing this the audio start to slow down intensely. I'm running all audio on the DAW through a Line 6 UX2. So, I decide to restart my computer. However, it wouldn't turn on at all. After about an hour of poking around inside the computer, airing it out and cleaning the dust, it finally miraculously turns on. However, now the audio problem has spread to my other soundcard, an HTO Striker Omega. Whenever I watch a video or listen to something, if I do a task that requires a remote amount of processing power, everything slows down and gets extremely choppy, starts crackling or popping, or the sound stutters. This happens on Winamp, VLC, and any other program that uses sound. Seriously, since today I can't listen to a song in Winamp without hearing stuttering if I change tabs in Firefox. It especially happens when I'm listening to something and I click on things in the control panel. Also, Ableton has become completely unusable. I can't listen to anything without hearing about 5 seconds worth of noise for every 1 second of music. It's absolutely frustrating, and I need to fix this soon because I have some incredibly urgent projects I need to do on Ableton by Wednesday and I can't do them in the state my computer is currently in.

Attempted fixes: I have tried toying around with buffer sizes, latency, bit rates, installing new sound drivers, unplugging sound cards and plugging them back in, restarting the computer, trying different programs to see if the problem persists, and getting new ASIO drivers, and none of these have worked. I also tried a clean boot, as well as going into safe mode and scanning for any kind of malware using malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and ComboFix. I suspect this issue lies deeper than I'd like to think, but I have no clue as to what steps to take to fix this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/985561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice