1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio stuttering in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timmo83, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

Hi all, I've had a very weird problem over the past month or so. My audio playback has developed a 'stutter.' It happens pretty frequently, a few times a minute, and it seems only to happen to music playback, not to games or movies. It sometimes skips in different places during tracks; sometimes it will skip in one place and sometimes it will play through the same place just fine. Also, I noticed that when I burn a cd there will be skips in it sometimes. Let me know if a HJT log or anything of that sort would be helpful.

System specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
    ATI X1800XT GPU
    ECS KA3 MVP mobo with Realtek HD Audio
    (2) 1gb sticks of RAM
    (2) 160gb HDDs

This problem just stupifies me. I can run Solidworks all day or run Half life 2 at full tilt and the system doesn't even flinch, but with nothing else running my music playback skips. The HDDs are already on Ultra DMA 5. The drivers for the onboard sound are fresh. I can't think of anything else except to run some tests on the memory modules at boot to see if one of the sticks is faulty, please help me with some insight into this problem! Thanks a TON in advance!

tim

2. Asenine

Asenine

What player do you use to play your media files?

Does it have the same issue when you play a video in it instead of audio?

3. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

I typically use winamp and windows media player. There doesn't seem to be a problem with video playback or the audio portion of movie playback.

4. DRMulder

DRMulder

My HP DV-1000 running XP Home Edition has developed the same sort of a stuttering problem. Have 768K RAM installed. Stutter occurs during heavy disk access and/or CPU activity. Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice