Solved Audio stuttering on all forms of media

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agent_washingtub

This problem started occurring just yesterday, not sure what might have triggered it.
The sound on everything (audio files, video files, browsers and games) now stutters, cuts in and out slightly.

I didn't install anything or make any changes to the hardware before this problem arose.

Things I have already tried:
- Going into Device Manager and updating the sound driver (Realtek High Definition Audio version 6.0.1.7535)
- Uninstalling sound driver and rebooting to reinstall.
- Changing driver to default High Definition Audio Device
- Going into Sound>Properties>Enhancement and checking Disable All Enhancements (did this for Realtek and default driver)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Professionnel, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8063 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 108 GB (52 GB Free); D: 931 GB (893 GB Free); K: 931 GB (884 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., B85M-E
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
6.0.1.7541 is the most current driver version for Windows 10 64-bit for the Realtek high definition audio device.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/realtek_high_definition_audio_for_vistawin_7win_8.html

That motherboard appears to have an integrated Realtek ALC887-VD 8-channel high definition audio device.
The Microsoft Update Catalog site has an even more current version - 6.0.1.7936
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ven_10ec&dev_0887

Does your computer have the "anniversary update" for Windows 10 64-bit installed?
Type winver in the search box and then press the Enter key.
What's the version number and build number listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

agent_washingtub

Problem still present.

Version 1607, Build 14393.447

I downloaded the most recent driver from the 2nd link you provided, its a compressed folder with about 170 files in it, not sure which one I'm supposed to run...

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Version 1607, Build 14393.447
You've got the most current version of Windows 10. (y)
I downloaded the most recent driver from the 2nd link you provided, its a compressed folder with about 170 files in it, not sure which one I'm supposed to run
The file from the first link is an executable one, so all you need to do is double-click it to start the install process.

The file from the second link is a compressed one, so its contents need to be extracted into an empty folder, then installed via the "back door" method in the Device Manager.
You need to know how to install a driver in that method - which involves several steps.

--------------------------------------------------------------

agent_washingtub

Sorry for the delay - haven't had a chance to follow your instructions.

So, I installed the up to date driver you had linked... Still no change however.
Skipping and stuttering still present.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If that stuttering started for no reason, it may be a hardware issue.
Are you using built-in monitor speakers or external powered speakers?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Do you have another set of external powered speakers that you can try out?
Do you have a monitor with built-in speakers that you can try out?

If nothing else works, it may come down to installing a sound card to replace the integrated Realtek audio.

--------------------------------------------------------------

agent_washingtub

Plugged my headphones in to test, same problem present.

I'm going to get it checked out at the store that built it for me to verify if it is a hardware issue.

Thank you for all the help, I will come back and let you know which piece is the culprit!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome.
Keep us posted.

agent_washingtub

Hardware guy came by today, said most likely a motherboard malfunction. He installed a dedicated sound card and said if he is right, that should fix the problem.
Since the problem comes and goes, I can't be sure its fixed for awhile, but I will mark it solved for now because this is the most likely culprit.

Thanks for the help. As always, everyone on this website is magnificent.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online