> audio stuttering >

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikebarton

Im posted my computer spec in when i registered so you know what im using, im sorry to jump this thread, but im having the exact same problem.

It started last week, ive done everything i can find to try and get rid of the stuttering but it just doesnt work.

I cant get my primary ide channel over to DMA no matter what i try either.

from task manager when just running opera and task manager

Physical Memory (k)

Total - 784384
Avaiable 463536

Commit Charge (k)

total - 275336
limit - 1920524
peak 278820

when playing any audio :

Physical Memory (k)

Total - 784384
Avaiable 417164

Commit Charge (k)

total - 312768
limit - 1920524
peak - 325800

I use itunes to play my music, i recently changed over from media player for libary reasons, but even wmp stutters aswell.

It happens most when i play something then start another application.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

:)

mikebarton

P.S!

System restarts dont do anything to help the problem.
It happens when im both on and off the internet ( ive even disabled my network apapter)
some programs to open slowly, especially itunes, but my itunes has a very large libary,

If im lucky, after about 4/5 hours it starts to get a little better. It only happens for audio, when i play anything from cd/dvd the audio on that is fine.

Im sure the problem lies within the PIO/DMA problem i have but im not the expert!

I've split your posts to a new thread.

I assume you've tried the script in the link here >

http://winhlp.com/node/10

What response does running the script get ?

Have you tried to "desensitize" your IDE channels per the help page's section for it?

Let's see if there are any issues of drive corruption.

Run eventvwr.msc and look at the System log. Any "disk" or "atapi" errors?

If you open a command prompt (start > run: cmd) and at the prompt enter:

fsutil dirty query c:

What response do you get (assumes "c" is your boot drive)?

If the drive is dirty or there are "disk" errors in the event viewer, run chkdsk on it.

Follow the instructions to "desensitize" the IDE channel and see if you can get it into DMA 5 mode using the script on the help link.

To use the script you must download it by right clicking on it and selecting "Save target as".

Once downloaded you will see it with a VBS extension and icon. Run that and if permission is required to complete it, allow.

Finally, do you have any System Restore points that predate the problem? You can undo one if it doesn't help.

mikebarton

sorryi diddnt get back to you in a while, the suggestions you made almost destroyed my computer, it would appear making any changes to the system produce the blue screen of death randomly!

and the audio has gone from stuttering from media files, to stuttering with any audio whatsoever, i have a feeling it may indeed be the onboard sound thats dying/the motherboard.

do you think it could be the sound device thats on board?

cheers

oh, all of my restore points became corrupt on using that script to change to DMA from PIO. Changing to DMA made my hard drive lag really badly, it would load about every 2 minutes, then stop for about 5minutes!

mike

the suggestions you made almost destroyed my computer, it would appear making any changes to the system produce the blue screen of death randomly!
And you're back for more? :p (j/k)

If there is a problem it must be with the hard drive itself, not the script which simply sets the IDE to its default value.

You'd best get a drive diagnostic from the drive vendor's site and run it.

You can also try running chkdsk on it -- but I suggest you backup everything you can while you can.

I would also check for "disk" and other repeating errors in the Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc) and look at the system log.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online