1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio Suddenly Skipping

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Eoughu, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eoughu

Eoughu Thread Starter

Recently I've noticed my audio skipping/lagging. I've never had this issue before and it just started up two or three days ago. I haven't recently changed anything on my computer so I'm not sure what could have happened. I've noticed it in foobar2000, MPC, and even on Youtube. It seems to happen most often when the CPU spikes in activity (such as opening any software).

I've tried reinstalling my sound drivers but that hasn't helped any.

I'm on Windows 7 x64 and have a Xonar D1 and an i5 2550k. I haven't noticed any other problems. If you have any suggestions please let me know, thanks!

2. Mr Davo

Mr Davo

Hi Eoughu,

I have noticed the same issue on my computer over the last couple of weeks, and initially I figured that the CD I recently ripped was scratched, however I am now noticing it with all of my music (though admittedly I have only been using WMP11). I figured until reading your post that I was probably looking at a hardware fault. To determine whether this is the case or not I have just downloaded BurnIn Test. However seeing your post is building my confidence that the issue may have something to do with software. I am not noticing the behaviour in games interestingly enough, though games by their nature probably don't illustrate the issue the same way that listening to music does.

I will look into the issue further and if I come up with anything I will be sure to post back, please do likewise if you make any progress.

Kind Regards,

Davo

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo

Hi,

I have performed further testing using BurnIn Test - results pictured below:

[​IMG]

Whilst BurnIn Test ran I continued to listen to my music through WMP11, I definitely noticed the skipping behaviour even though my test results are fine!

I have a sound plugin called DFX installed, and am now turning it off, perhaps the plugin has been causing me grief!

Cheers

Davo

4. Eoughu

Eoughu Thread Starter

I ran the BurnIn test and I didn't see any problems. I decided to just do a fresh instal of Windows to see if it'd fix the problem. Sadly it did not.

5. Mr Davo

Mr Davo

Sounds like a hardware problem even though BurnIn Test did not reveal anything. There is one more thing that you can try - run Ubuntu as a live OS (e.g.: run the OS from CD without installing it). Once you have booted into Ubuntu put some MP3 files onto a flash drive and play them. Does the problem persist?

For a heads up on what a live OS is - LiveCD

Good luck :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice