1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

audio tape to CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I am interested in transferring some old audio tapes that I have to CD. I hooked up my own 5.1 surround sound system, but don't consider myself versed in audio technicalities. To me it sounds as simple as taking an audio cable from the 'headphones' (or out) jack on a tape deck and putting into the 'microphone' jack in my computer. I'll perhaps need to make the initial transfer as a .wav or something, but then I can transfer it to mp3 and then to CD.
    Is it that simple, or am I in for a lot more than that?

Thanks,
    JTN

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

yes it is that simple. but i would play around with thgw cable settings for the best quality. and it would help if you had a top of the line sound card. then if you had them you could use rca inputs on the sound card and use the outputs from the sound system

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

4. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

Okay, I have the audio cord plugged in and when I play from the tape deck the sound comes from my computer speaks which I take as a good sign.
    Now I need a program which will take the audio from the playing tape and record it as either wav or mp3. I clicked on the link provided by LwdSquashman, and that article suggests music match 6. I was unable to find MM6 and could only locate MM8 which does not allow you to record from the mic on the free version.
    So now I'm looking for either a copy of Music Match 6, or a similar free program which will record from the audio in (or mic). After that I should be okay on my own. Anyone know of anything out there?

Thanks,
    JTN

5. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

plug in the mic plug and i think windows wav recorder in accessories can do what you want.

6. TheDJK

TheDJK

(1) GoldWave is a good shareware audio app. You can download a fully-functional demo version.

(2) I would suggest running your cassette audio into the Line In on your sound card, instead of the Mic input. Lessens the likelyhood of distortion.

7. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

For some reason windows recorder has a limit of sixty seconds.

8. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i have gotten around that but for get how

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice