1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio when using HDMI connection

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gemius, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemius

Gemius Thread Starter

I've recently connected my Vista PC to my Sony Bravia TV with an HDMI cable. I've selected a dupicate display in the ATI Radeon Catalyst (TM) Control Centre thus getting the same screen on PC and TV.

When watching recorded programs using Media Centre I can only get sound on either the PC or the TV but not both at the same time. To select which one, I have to go to the Control Panel and change the default sound to either Speakers (for the PC) or HDMI for the TV.

Is there any way the sound can be adjusted to play on both at the same time ?

PS. For anyone trying to sort the sound out in the same situation, Media Centre must be shut down and restarted before any changes will take effect. I wasted a lot of time before I found this out!

2. buffoon

buffoon

I've had a similar problem, although it was with a USB plugged (digital) headset vs. PC speakers (analogue). Won't go into that further, just mentioning it for demonstrating the apparent incompatibility of two sound systems to run at the same time (I had to change between drivers alone to switch between the two).

I'd go the easy way in your case by attaching additional analogue audio cable (3.5 mm single plug both ends) from your PC output to the dedicated audio input of your Bravia. Dedicated as in dedicated to HDMI 1 or 2 or whatever.

It'll only get you analogue sound but unless you have $600,000 ears you won't hear much difference. Leave your PC on "speakers" and use a splitter, if necessary, on the PC's audio output.

Cumbersome but it should at least work.

3. Gemius

Gemius Thread Starter

Thank you for that Buffoon. Sorry to take so long replying. Your response seems to be the only answer so I'll give it a try when I have time to install another cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice