1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio won't play out of headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobthejoe68, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobthejoe68

bobthejoe68 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I recently found that my headphones had stopped working without reason. They will not work, but my speakers will. I have read over tens of questions similar to this, but none of the solutions have worked for me. Here are the things I have observed and tried:
    -My headphones work with other devices, just not my computer.
    -My computer detects when my headphones are plugged in and my headphones ARE set to the default device under playback.
    -My Audio drivers are up to date.
    -My speakers work fine. (but only become in use when I unplug my headphones)
    If you know some things I could try, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Dou your headphones have a volume control in line with the plug?

3. bobthejoe68

No, they do not have volume control in line with the plug.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Few stupid questions (i am good at those);

Have you tried other headphones?

Laptop or desktop?

OS?

Dusty already got my top answer as as recently as yesterday that happened to me.

5. bobthejoe68

I have indeed tried two other pairs of headphones, neither of them working with my computer but both working on my phone.
    I use a laptop, to be specific an ASUS ROG variant. It has one headphone jack. The OS I use is Windows 8.1. Thank you both for trying to help me.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Definitely the laptop then. How old? Any wiggle in the headphone jack that would indicate something broke loose on the motherboard then?

And dont worry sweat it. Sorta what we're here for. :)

7. bobthejoe68

It's only been in my possession for about 20 days, and I've tried to keep it as secure as possible to not break it. I can't hear or see anything wrong with the jack from outside. A shame that part of it might have already broken. I set it down to the side of my desk to investigate something, and when I returned the audio wasn't working.

8. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

When you're playing music from your speakers, and you plug your headphones in, does the sound from the speakers shut off? It should.

Also, you can always buy a USB sound card which has it's own audio jack, so you can plug your headphones in there.

9. bobthejoe68

When I plug my headphones in, the speakers shut off, but my headphones don't play anything. It detects the headphones are there and switches to them, as they are default, but the headphones don't actually make any noise. The headphones have been proven to work with other devices.

10. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Hm. Usually windows has separate audio setting profiles depending on the output device. So that when it detects that you plugged in your headphones, it switches to that audio profile. When you unplug, it switches to the speaker profile. Maybe there's something wrong with the headphones settings on your computer. This might be silly, but you've checked that your headphones aren't muted right? When i have my headphones in, mute them, and then unplug, windows goes to my unmuted speakers. But when i plug the headphones back in, it goes back to the muted setting.

Could you go to Control Panel->Sound Settings and take a screenshot of what you see in the "Playback" tab?

11. bobthejoe68

I've checked they aren't muted, and I've checked that the output does indeed switch to the headphones when I plug them in. The issue is they simply don't output any noise. I've set them as the default, made sure they were not muted, checked all the drivers were updated and checked the validity of the headphones themselves, but nothing seems to cause the issue. I'm guessing it's the internals, but if anybody has any other things to try I'd be willing.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On the laptop is there a separate socket for a microphone next to the headphone socket?

13. bobthejoe68

On this laptop there is only one jack/socket. It is multiuse for microphones and headphones.

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try setting the Speakers to default playback device.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It was just a thought, I have 2 laptops both Dells with the single Headset Socket. I also have 2 older Dell Laptops with The Headphone socket and Mic socket.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice