1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audio workbench software suggestions?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Rude_Dog, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I have a presario2100 laptop running WinXPhome, with Athlon xp-m processor, 1gig of memory, lots of HD space, non-USB 2.0, and the sound card is "Conexant AC-Link Audio", which is a PCI device.

I want to mess around with some audio files. For example, I want to be able to dub sound bites of audio from a movie on a DVD and save it as a wav file for use as a windows sound effect. Or, save it as an mp3 file to use as a ring tone on my smartphone. Or, take various wav files found on the internet and convert them to mp3 so I can use them on my smart phone. Maybe get some simple editing features.

May I have some recommendations for software that will allow me to do this? While I do like good sound quality, it's just for hobby:rolleyes: . How about for $50 or less? Can I get something decent? (y)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  3. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

Hi Noyb,

Thanks for the reply.

Certainly not! Free is great!
    Also great.

Since I'm not running a test box, I don't want to download a bunch of unknown freewares to my laptop and install it, only to find out it's not really what I want, or no longer supported because it was a student's 2nd semester project, or it's sent my laptop off into the weeds because it's really spyware/malware/virus, or poorly designed.

I was hoping for someone to name a program or something, then get a bunch of me-too-that's-what-I-use-too posts or some such. Like, what's the one program for this purpose that everyone uses? Kind of a thing.

Meanwhile, I'll take a look at the audacity url, and thanks again for the tip!(y)

G

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Audacity is safe and widely used here at TSG.
    I'm surprised I beat the crowd telling you about Audacity.

Questions like this can be like getting hit with a fire hose.

You'll need the Lame_enc.dll to be able to export to mp3 .. it's in the instructions (somewhere)
    I hide my Lame (mp3) encoder in the C: program files/Audacity folder.
    Remember this .. the first time you export to mp3 ... Audacity will ask you where you hid it.
    Audacity can record anything you computer can play.

If you need any more help with it .. Just holler... and be ready to dry off.

5. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

I took a look at Audacity, and I'm impressed.

Does anyone know if there's anything not to like about it? Perhaps it runs better on a Mac and the win version sucks or something? Anyway, I'm just curious to hear about any criticisms.

Does anyone have any other software to recommend? Under $50, and of course, freeware too.

Thanks,

G

6. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog Thread Starter

I hear ya. That's all good news.

Thanks again,

G

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice