Audiobox USB 2.0 - Noise in right side of headphones only

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattsonberg

Just bought a new pair of headphones. Plugged them into the back of my audiobox usb 2.0 and I'm getting noise in the right side only. Whether I'm playing back any sound or not. I tried them on my laptop and cell phone and both are clear as can be. I am plugged into a USB 2.0 port directly into my MB. I've tried a new USB cord. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers. I've moved my audiobox to make sure I wasn't near any power cords. I removed my microphone as well as both monitor speakers. Can you please give me some help on this? What else can I try?

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 31 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING (MS-7984) (U3E1) 42 °C
Graphics
2752H ([email protected])
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Gigabyte) 51 °C
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 41 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA) 43 °C
447GB KINGSTON SV300S37A480G (SSD) 34 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0820 USB Device (SSD) 41 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0827 USB Device (SSD) 41 °C
596GB Western Digital WD 6400AAV External USB Device (SSD) 41 °C
931GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0810 USB Device (SSD) 41 °C
Optical Drives
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L
Audio
AudioBox USB Audio

bobs-here

Bob
its either an imbalance of the stereo within the headphones short possibly in the right side causing a small 'noise' or the plug/socket fitting. on the site for the device it has a list of common causes of environmental noises that include:
  • Computer fans
  • Ceiling/room fans
  • Air conditioning
  • Outside noise/wind
  • Physical vibrations produced by speakers
see link for more:
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...is-producing-or-recording-noise-What-do-I-do-

Saturable

Mark
So, to clarify, your headphones work just fine (i.e. sound from both the left and right ear cups) on your laptop and phone, but not when plugged into your Audiobox? Most of the time when sound is played only on one earcup, it indicates an issue with the plug end. Since you tried a new cable, and they work on other devices, it may be your Audiobox at fault. Is it still under warranty?

mattsonberg

So, to clarify, your headphones work just fine (i.e. sound from both the left and right ear cups) on your laptop and phone, but not when plugged into your Audiobox? Most of the time when sound is played only on one earcup, it indicates an issue with the plug end. Since you tried a new cable, and they work on other devices, it may be your Audiobox at fault. Is it still under warranty?
Thanks for the reply here. You are correct. The headphones work perfectly when connected to the phone and laptop while not using an adapter. When connecting to the Audiobox I have to use an adapter for use in the 1/4 jack. Unfortunately the Audiobox is NOT under warranty. It's at least a few years old at this point. I guess I can try buying a new adapter to rule that out.

Saturable

Mark
Yes, a new adapter would be worth trying before you decide to replace your Audiobox. Can you specify which brand of headphones you have? Some headphones have a 3.5mm male end with three rings—the third ring is there for communication purposes usually with a built-in mic. I had a cable like that, and when I plugged it into my HiFi audio jack on my laptop, the sound was a bit off (that is, the jack doesn't like the third ring.) However, if I plugged it into an adapter with a two ringed male end, they sounded fine. So, in your case, it could be the adapter at fault, your headphones' 3.5mm male plug, or both. Maybe the adapter doesn't like the third ring as well because I can almost guarantee that the 1/4 adapter only has two rings.

If that's confusing, it's probably the adapter at fault. And, if not, it's the Audiobox.

mattsonberg

Just noticed something kind of interesting. I decided to crank the "phones" dial all the way up to see what the headphones were made of and after listening for a few minutes I stopped the audio playback and to my surprise, no static! As I turned the dial back down a bit the static comes back. I wonder what that tells me?

Saturable

Mark
Static? You didn't mention anything before about static. Do you mean you hear static in the left earcup as opposed to the audio you expect to hear?

mattsonberg

Static? You didn't mention anything before about static. Do you mean you hear static in the left earcup as opposed to the audio you expect to hear?
Sorry, maybe I considered "noise" and "static" to be interchangeable when they shouldn't be. I hear static in the right ear cup only. And it is present whether there is audio playing or not.

Maybe a related issue, I have some sort of noise or coming from my right speaker just about all the time. The only thing that seems to eliminate it is by plugging it into a different outlet on a different circuit in the house. Maybe I've opened a can of worms here, I don't know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online