audiocassette repair

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wgreene

Recently I was listening to a couple of treasured audiocassette tapes which are more than 30 years old. Listening to them was no problem; however, when I attempted to make copies of them using my dual-deck recorder, both became badly mangled. Several inches of tape were badly wrinkled in the process, so I know I'd have to have a splice job done. (Unfortunately, these cassettes are glued together. The ones with screws in the corners are much easier for me to work with.)

I really would like to have these tapes repaired by a professional since I don't believe I'd be able to do it myself. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar problem and/or might have a good suggestion as to what I should do. Perhaps Best Buy or Radio Shack could lead me in the right direction. Or maybe I could take them to a stereo repair shop. I'm open to suggestions.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
I think you might get more help here! ;)

It depends on whether the stuff you need is still available...I have managed to repair cassette tapes (years ago!) with splicing tape and a trimmer/press that came from Radio Shack or some similar place. The trimmer may still be around here somewhere.
It isn't complicated, just takes steady hands and good eyes. Pull out the damaged section into a long loop and make the splice (the tape goes on the SHINY side), then roll the tape back into the cassette with a pencil or something hex shaped that will engage the teeth on the drive gear. Then make a copy or record them to MP3's.

Believe it or not, I actually had some luck repairing some crimped and damaged audio tape with an iron. I set it on the lowest possible setting, used the ironing board, and just barely went over them very lightly a couple of times. The crimps flattened right out and the tapes began to work again. (Previously they had stopped whenever they got to the crimped section.) Not sure if your mangled tapes are beyond this remedy, but thought I'd share just in case.

wgreene

Thank you for the suggestions.

My next step is to locate the tapes since I can't remember where I put them! It may take awhile but I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online