1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Audiosys.dll causing problems, sound not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Snowstrom, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snowstrom

Snowstrom Thread Starter

Hello and my thanks for all the responses in advance.

TL;DR: programs can't play sound, I can't access audioses.dll to try to fix it

I've ran into a new problem on my age old toaster home PC, and for the first time in a long while I'm not able to tackle this one down. The original errors and windows messages were in finnish, and i've translated them to my best ability. I do not know the exact wording in the english versions. I hope you can understand my english.

My problem is that I can't make programs play sound. VLC, Chrome, games, whatever. No sound. The twist is that the sound system is working correctly, and windows is able to play all warning sounds (and the test sound for speakers). So sound is working, but something is causing programs to not be able to play sound. When trying to manage volume levels in the audio mixer it shows only system sound and speakers, but no programs, even if I do have them running.

I first encountered this problem while using "Worldbuilder.exe" for Company of Heroes to build maps. It's a buggy and shittily patched poor excuse of a map editor, and it's always crashing and has all kinds of trouble. It also always refuses to work if weverything isn't perfectly set up. Today it told me it can't open a map I have been working on because "audioses.dll is not meant to be executed in a Windows system, or there it is corrupted". I don't know why thad would prevent me form editing a map, but it revealed to me the name of the file that I believe is causing these problems.

I have tried to restart the computer, because with this old system you'll get all kinds of weird trouble which will vanish like it never existed if you just push the power button. It didn't work.
    I googled "audioses.dll" and had plenty of results where people had had the same error message as I have. I tried following instructions, but I'm not good enough with computers to understand what I was trying to do or why. I tried this from http://answers.microsoft.com/:

"Re-register the following DLL (Dynamic-link library) files to correct this problem.

a. Click on start and in the start search bar type cmd, right click on the command prompt icon in the programs area and then click on run as administrator.
    b. at the command prompt
    Type regsvr32 AUDIOSES.DLL and then press enter.
    Type regsvr32 jscript.dll and then press enter
    Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and then press enter

Check if the issue is resolved."

Command prompt threw me with an error after entering the first line: "The module audioses.dll was loaded, but calling of the target DllRegisterServer failed. Error message 0x80070716". I googled help and apparently that error message implies a problem with admin rights.

I also tried repeating everything 'as an administrator'. I am only user, this is a single private machine, and as a lazy idiot I have UAC off. I turned it back on and clicked through the tedious 'please allow' popups, but with the same results.

This approach was not working, so I tried another one: I downloaded audioses.dll and tried to replace the originals in c:\windows\system32 and \syswow64 (after creating backups and a system restore point because messing around with the notorious system32 is scary), but the replace action was blocked, because I did not have the necessary privileges to do it (even though I was admin). I tried changing sys32 security properties to allow editing (I know, a dangerous move, but I had the backup, this is not the worlds most important system, and I'm a bit desperate). Windows politely decline my proposition though. So I'm not able to replace the (possibly) damaged file.

I have also checked with system file check if the dll is damaged but it says that "Windows resource protection found no file integrity problems". I tried reverting the system to earlier version, but it says that I don't have any system restore points, and reverted to booting this version of my setup.

The previous change to the system was installing the latest microsoft office programs because an obligatory university IT course "how to use computer for toddlers" required me to. I have also just installed the windows updates it asked me to install, but I'm not sure what it did (because windows never tells you what it did). Before those I've never had this particular problem.

I'm stuck, and I don't know what to do anymore other than resetting everything to factory defaults, and I wouldn't want to do that. I've got years worth of stuff installed and saved, and I wouldn't want to lose them, even if they aren't like 'national security' -important.

Sorry for a long post, but that is really everything I've done and I can't figure this out. I don't know if this is already solved or a stupid question, and as this is a wide issue, I didn't exactly know where to post this. I need help. Thank you for reading.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Found a possible fix but please 'Read this First' :- http://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-frustrating-windows-7-audio-problem-solved/

Source link from the above article:- http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...em-take-the-challenge-594113.html#post3401938

Now finally the possible fix itself :-

3. Snowstrom

Snowstrom Thread Starter

Thanks for the help,

I read the pcgamer article, but it would seem to me that they are talking about a different problem. I can see the username AudioEndpointBuilder in the regedit, and my speaker Icon on the desktop is the normal one (no red cross). I can play system sounds, like Windows startup melody and click sound when going through files. Also all error window sounds play. Anything else will not display in sound mixer and will make no sound.

I tried going through those steps you specified anyway, but the command "net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice" gets me the message "System error 1376. The defined local group does not exist." So this didn't solve my problem, unfortunately.

I really appreciate the help though

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, try this. Start > Control Panel > Device Manager (if you can't see Device Manager change the 'View by' at top right to 'small icons').
    Double-click on 'Sound, video and game controllers' to expand it then right-click on the revealed line > Uninstall and confirm to do so.
    Then click on 'Action' in the menu line at the top > check for hardware updates
    It will take a few seconds and rewrites the list once or twice, after it's done see if the sound works now.
    (If you don't see the Action > 'check for ...' choice restart the computer instead).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice