1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aureal A3D Demos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Although it's unlikely I'll get a response to this question, this is the best tech support site on the Web, so I might be suprised.

My computer is a 733MHz PIII running Win98SE. It has an Aureal 8830 sound card. For the last couple of years, I've had a problem with the card not waking up when I wake the computer up; sometimes have to reboot to get it to work. So I thought I would try downloading the latest drivers, which I found at the Vortex of Sound Website. I also downloaded the latest demos (version 3.0).

Not only did the new drivers not solve the won't-wake-up problem, but now if I try to run the demos, they crash the system... hard... blue screen of death... and sometimes, it does other nasty things like making the Desktop inactive (i.e., Active Desktop gets unchecked), removes the Task Scheduler from the Systray, changes the start menu icons to large, etc.

Anybody else ever experience these problems, or hear of anybody who has? Unfortunately I can't ask Aureal for help because they went out of business.

2. bluehealey

bluehealey

don
    I have a similar system and recently the system won't recognize the drivers for the 8830 . If I reload them, they last as long as I have the machine running. When I shut it down and restart -- they are gone!! I took the demos off completely but that did not remedy the problem. Let me know if you hear something -- I may just go get a new card.

Jeff
    Newark, DE

3. Rockn

Rockn

Thus the reason they are out of business, no support for a terrible product. I had similar problems a few years back and the only resolution was to exchange the card at the local retail outlet for a SoundBlaster card.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

You might try the various W98/98SE drivers from here:

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/136.htm

You may also try going to Control Panel/Sounds&Multimedia/Audio/Advanced/Performance and move the hardware accelerator to the left a notch at a time or go into the DirectX DiagnosticTool/Sound and move the slider there.

5. comaparadigm

comaparadigm

i agree, i had an aureal vortex card, all it did was cause IRQ conflicts with other hardware

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I had a Compaq Presario 5070 a few years ago. The on board sound was Aureal 3D. I too had problems with it. I replaced it with a Sound Blaster 16PCI. Never had sound problems again. In fact i still have the Sound Blaster and have used in 3 different computers since. I paid $29 USD for it in 1999 and it still sells for $29 USD at Walmart. Must be a good low end card for older systems.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Jeff: From what others in this thread have said, methinks the only answer is to get another sound card. They're cheap, so no big deal. My problem is a minor annoyance, not a major system problem, so I'll probably just ride it out 'til I get a new PC (which has to be soon; this baby turns 5 years old later this year).

8. bluehealey

bluehealey

Thanks all-- heading out to get a new card!!

Jeff

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice