1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Aurora R4 not running games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vakaahr, Apr 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I bought an alienware Aurora R4 a while ago, since the last year I've been getting blue screens whenever I run certain games (most games). It used to only be high graphic intensity games but recently it's also low graphic games like Star Wars:KOTOR. I'd be playing the game for a few minutes and my computer freezes. Some games freeze on startup, other games freeze as soon as I change th resolution to something higher. I can play Assassin's Creed 1 en The Witcher for some reason... I've done anything from deleting drivers and reinstalling and fully updating to a complete clean install. If what I can find online is right it has to be a hardware issue.

The blue screen I get is DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

My question is, what hardware should I replace, and if I replace let's say my graphics card (wich I think is the problem), should I also replace any other hardware?

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oHctrcdtLnqO4crp7wWJ6H1

Thanks in advance!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What do you refer to by fully updating to a complete clean install - not I presume the Windows OS
    I cannot read all of the Speccy, as of course parts of it are in Dutch I think

However what I see in English does not suggest a clean install of Windows - not that this may be necessary

The first thing you should so is to STOP using CCleaner on Windows 10. There is no need for it and the registry aspect of it will sooner or later ruin your system and the general cleaner in default mode is not suitable for 10.

I notice auto update is turned off - according to Speccy - I also notice that what is shown suggests that you should have more updates listed
    So why is windows not being updated as it normally would on 10 - for instance November last year saw version 1809. I am not saying you should accept the version update, but you seem as I said to be lacking updates

In respect of the DPC - Deferred Procedure Call Watchdog Violation your first job as I said is to uninstall CCleaner
    Then open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type

sfc /scannow
    Please report the result of the scan I do NOT need the logs.

Also confirm please that there is NO other AV apart from Windows Defender installed AND no other 3rd party system maintenance program (such as CCleaner) , registry cleaners, system boosters etc installed

3. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

- What I was referring to is completely removing windows and all components from my computer and reinstalling it (this was about a year ago). Before I did this I deleted and reinstalled all my drivers to their most up-to date.

- I have deleted CCleaner, I also have Razer Cortex which has a game booster element in it, can this cause problems? I have no other programs for malware or AV other than Windows Defender.

- I have updated my windows, nowhere does it show that I at one point turned off the auto-update (I don't think you even can?) I'll keep an eye on those from now on.

- The results from the scan: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

That's all for now, thanks!

4. Macboatmaster

1. In future replies, please type in the box that appears when you open the topic, not by clicking reply on my post, that as you can see quotes all I have typed back to me.
    Open settings
    update and security
    click
    check for updates

2. Open Windows scroll to Mini dumps
    open that see if the dump file is there from the last DPC watchdog BSOD
    If so right click - send to compressed - on desktop
    and attach file to reply using - upload a file button on the more options tab of the reply panel

If the dump is in minidump attach it as above - if it is not there check
    memory.dmp in the windows folder
    Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and open that folder, right click the dump file and on the right click menu select send to compressed file on desktop. If the minidump folder is not there or empty there may be a larger DMP file located at C:\WINDOWS called MEMORY.DMP. If you have minidumps use that please

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

I've done this and restarted my machine

6. Macboatmaster

I have edited my post to include the next step
    What I really need to know from your previous reply is WHAT updates have now been listed

7. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

The Minidump map is empty and I don't have a MEMORY.DMP file. I have however found that my computer was set not to make any dump files on BSOD so I set it to making a Minidump file on BSOD. Would you like me to try and cooerce a BSOD out of my machine? :D

Edit: I also posted this thread on the Alienware forums where they suggested turing off one of my cards and see what that does and I figured out my computer always freezes on card A, so I'm thinking my GPU A is just busted...

8. Macboatmaster

I noticed that you had two identical Graphic cards, personally I do not expect it to be defective card - but I may be wrong of course
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 (NVIDIA):
    SLI enabled

If you can get a dump then do so please.

Re drivers for 690 you have
    411.70 WHQL which is windows driver version

I recommend
    you follow the procedure here for custom install of the latest driver from Nvidia for your GTX690
    https://www.ghacks.net/2012/12/26/make-sure-you-only-install-nvidia-drivers-you-need/
    Further explained on the link below

So generally install ONLY the graphics driver and PhysX but check with the link above as to if for instance you need HD Audio for HDMI

IF the actual make of your GTX690 either from the manufacturer eg XFX _ Gigabyte -
    or from the Dell alienware site does NOT list that latest driver then install the one they recommend

To ensure you make a clean install follow the procedure for uninstall and custom install here
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2900/kw/custom instalation/session/L3RpbWUvMTU1NDc1Nzg1MS9zaWQvZlVxMWRVJTdFS2lMQkZPZTlDNDBXJTdFM2RVcnQ4ZnVweFE4VktKdnRJbUNnRnVVY2JHQyU3RXQ2MGxydWtXbmVhZE5JVkFpVkM2NVVCUE5QSFVTRGUxYnZqOFM5MlBEdWFYaWU4UUVRekRMaTBYdmtYU3lWS3dNT1FLdyU3RVElMjElMjE=
    1. Download the latest NVIDIA display driver from the NVIDIA Download Drivers page.
    2. If your browser asks you if you wish to Save or Run the file, select Save.
    3. Selecting Run will save the file to a temporary directory. If a file is saved to a temporary directory, it is possible Windows may delete the file while you are installing the driver which will result in a bad install. Instead, save the driver to your Windows desktop.
    4. Go to settings as here
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs
    NOT control panel
    uninstall all Nvidia entries EXCEPT of course the downloaded driver file on the desktop - but that will NOT be shown - I am reasonably certain

5. SHUT DOWN the computer NOT allow it to enter hybrid sleep BUT shut down completely
    simply hold down the shift key before you click the power icon and select “shut down” on Windows’ Start Menu

6. Restart the computer and right click the desktop icon you have for the Nvidia driver
    run as admin and follow procedure outlined on the link for the custom install of basically only the graphics driver and the PhyX - plus as I mentioned anything else you KNOW you certainly need

9. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your detailed answers so far, they've helped me alot!

I still get BSOD as you presumed despite running the cards seperately, I even got one browsing facebook now...
    I can't find any dump files in my windows folder even though I have it set to making minidumps, and there's no MEMORY.DMP either. I looked this up and it might have something to do with my SCSI controller board?

10. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  11. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

12. Macboatmaster

OK
    I have had a look at it, it is a little inconclusive
    HAVE you done as I suggested with the driver as per post 8

13. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

I have but I did it in a hurry, I will do it again and take my time.

Edit: I uninstalled the display drivers in safe mode using Display Driver Uninstaller tool this time, the reinstall of the driver took alot longer so I hope it's better now.

Edit 2: Got another BSOD running a game, the .dmp is in the link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=92605526306740978249

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  14. Macboatmaster

Please confirm you have done this
    as per the details of my post
    I am puzzled as to why you used the display driver uninstall tool the method to be used was as outlined on my post
    However the important point is that you have installed ONLY what I said, plus ONLY as explained what you need eg the HD audio for HDMI

Your link does not work. I cannot understand why you cannot copy, as explained on right click and send to compressed file on desktop and attach here using upload a file button
    It will not upload unless you compress it

15. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Ah sorry I missed that about compressing it.
    I used the uninstall tool because every time I tried to remove the programs in Apps I got a message that the uninstaller was not running or something...

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice