1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Aurora R4 not running games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vakaahr, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Sorry for the delay I have spent sometime looking at the dumps and there really is no definite conclusion
    I thought it best to provide one of the dumps for you so that you can see the result
    The only information I have taken out is my personal details on the analysis
    You will note the blackboxbsd entry
    and the blackboxpnp entry = plug and play

If I look at those from the dump file I get
    0: kd> !blackboxbsd
    Stream size mismatch (expected = 168, read = 136)
    0: kd> !blackboxpnp
    PnpActivityId : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    PnpActivityTime : 132000627729553677
    PnpEventInformation: 3
    PnpEventInProgress : 0
    PnpProblemCode : 24 (This means device is not present or is not working properly - my addition)
    PnpVetoType : 0
    DeviceId : USB\VID_04CA&PID_0027\6&8c24625&0&4
    VetoString :

However I cannot say that this is the cause of the crash and we have discussed the USB Video before I think.

Even looking at every module loaded does not provide a real clue.

Once again sorry for the delay.

My current suggestion is that you try connecting hard wired I think you said you were using wireless connection
    Just in case it is the wireless adapter driver.

Attached Files:

2. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Hey Macboatmaster,

I connected an ethernet cable and disabled my wireless adapter but I still got a BSOD as soon as I started the game.
    I can't remember discussing the USB video.

3. Macboatmaster

On that entry
    04CA&PID_0027\6&8c24625&0&4
    the 04CA is the vendor and the 0027 is the product
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...s/How_do_I_check_the_PID_VID_of_my_USB_device

However I can 04ca no problem -
    https://devicehunt.com/search/type/usb/vendor/04CA/device/0027

but as you can see not with 0027
    https://devicehunt.com/search/type/usb/vendor/04CA/device/any

and as I said I am not even sure it is the problem, as mentioned on the details of the crash - not present could be the cause.

Go to the Aurora site and try the test - I do not expect it to show anything, but one never knows
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r4/diagnose

4. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Hey Macboatmaster,

I tried running the diagnostics on the website, however it didn't work because my service tag wasn't recognised. I contacted Dell support and they told me their website doesn't support products that are older than 5 years... I do have the option to run a diagnostic on boot by pressing F12, would you like me to go ahead and do that?

5. Macboatmaster

Yes you may as well try it.

Returning to the crash dump showing the USB\VID with Problem Code 24
    which as I said means not present or not working properly
    Do you have anything connected USB of that nature OR is there any entry in device manager

If the Vendor is Liteon that may help

6. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

I'm not sure, I do have 2 USB ports that don't work ever since I sent my PC for repair at some, i later learned, dodgey shop...
    The only ┬žUSB devices connected to my PC are my printer, my mouse and my keyboard.
    I have added a printscreen from my USB controllers in device manager.

Attached Files:

7. Macboatmaster

Does the repair and the usb ports not working fit in with the crashes - time wise

8. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

I'll tell you the whole story.

So I'd been having these blue screens for a few months, and one day I couldn't log in to my computer anymore. So I brought my PC to the shop, in working order except for not being able to log in. The next day they called me, I has a "short circuit somewhere" and that's why my computer didn't work. So I asked them "What do you mean it didn't work" and apparently my computer wouldn't even start at their shop, which to me was very strange. So I paid like 400 euros, got my PC back and the problem wasn't solved. Brought my PC back, they couldn't fix it blah blah blah, so I did a clean install of my windows and it was fixed. As you can guess I never went to that shop again, and my 2 front USB ports haven't worked since then. After the clean install of windows I still kept getting the BSOD up untill today.

9. Macboatmaster

Does not sound good
    Whilst of course I do not know what they found

I have read that the 690 has suffered these DPC watchdog timeouts for sometime and it appears ever since the updates to the driver from Windows 10
    I notice if you go to the Alienware site that Dell recommend the driver from 2015
    that is

The download there on the Dell site and I have checked it at Microsoft Update Catalogue
    https://www.catalog.update.microsof...updateid=86f5dc83-cccc-4303-97bf-aa3b1ba1885b

However I suggest you download it from Dell
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-aurora-r4

and save to your desktop

I further suggest that you uninstall the current drivers and all Nvidia entries first as before
    Then reboot and disconnect from internet so that windows cannot install updates

See what happens then please.

and set wireless metered connection

10. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

Hey Macboatmaster!

EUREKA!!! No more BSOD when gaming! And all my games run smoothe again aswell!
    I want to thank you SO much for your patience and advice, thank you for investing your free time in helping me out!

Thank you! Hans.

11. Macboatmaster

I am so pleased for you, your problem now MAYBE stopping windows updating the Nvidia driver.
    There is no easy way to do that on the Home edition

Setting a metered connection for the wireless will stop the driver updates and all except the security updates, but it is not a real solution
    Perhaps best to wait and see and if when you get a crash the driver has changed from the version now installed then you at least know the cause.

12. Vakaahr

Vakaahr Thread Starter

When that happens I'll just uninstall and reinstall :D Thanks again!

13. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Thanks for being good to work with and as I said pleased for you.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice