1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto Arrange

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dsquared, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

I'm running Windows Me. Whenever I use explorer, my files and folders run off the screen. I then select auto arrange to get them to all show. The next time I use the computer, I have to go through the same thing all over again with every folder where I've previously set the auto arrange. I don't recall having this problem with Win 98. What's happening?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

One possibility is that there is a NoSaveSettings entry in the registry. From start, run regedit

Click Edit and enter nosavesettings (one word) in the Find field. You can right click and delete any instances you find (right hand pane), or modify the value to 0

If the entry is there, it should be in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

I tried the registry search for "nosavesettings" and came up empty. I then went directly to the folder you suggested. There was nothing in there like that. There were only two items: "CDRAutoRun" and "NoDriveTypeAuto" Any other suggestions?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

To be honest with you I've never paid much attention to these features and what you describe almost seems like the default behavior to me. The only way I can get a folder to keep any manual icon spacing arrangement is to turn off the "view as web page" option. Otherwise, using large icons they will default to preset spacing and not all will be displayed on one screen.

The spacing of the vertical bar in Explorer will also affect how Windows chooses to arrange the icons.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

NoSaveSettings can sometimes be found in another location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre
    ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice