1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto complete or Auto Fill field in Access?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by nwinchel, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

I have a nice little database that I set up to track donations of items to our organization. The primary table tracks the donor information: name, address, etc. (main form) and I have created a related table that tracks the date of donation and items donated utilizing a sub-form. Thanks to the fine help I received here I was able to relate these tables using a “Link_ID” field and it has worked nicely. (One donor could have multiple donations.)

Now, I’d like to enhance things a little bit. When I enter donor information into the main form and then go to the sub-form for the donation information, I’d like the business_name field to autofill as I start to type. Now, I know this can be done because most commercial databases have this function. Quicken is one that comes to mind. I know it has to pull this information from somewhere, I just need to know how to get it to work!

I have been unsuccessful finding any pertinent information on an “autofill” field in some sources. (I really don’t want a drop-down list box because this could potentially get too large.)

TIA.

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Yes, well, unfortunately, in Access, the drop-down list is the only type of control that uses auto-fill, unless you want to use a text box and code (there's an example of that in the developer's handbook, but it's complicated).

No matter how big your list is, if you sort the underlying query alphabetically on company name, it will still autofill, and you can even build a not-in-list response to add new customers...

Make sure the auto-expand property of the drop-down (or combo) control is set to Yes, and you'll see that you never even have to drop down the list...

3. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

I needed to use a combo box vs. a list box to get it to work but it's great!

Thanks! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice