1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto-Convert Database

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by jo15765, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

I was wondering if it was possible to write a code in C# or SQL and have the code cycle through a folder let's say for example C:\Databases\ and take each database in that folder, create a copy of that database, and convert the copy of the database to 2007.

2. sepala

sepala

Answer is Yes... I don't know about C# (I am doing java), but I am sure it can because it supports IO programming. Not sure about the conversation anyway, but that is also possible.

3. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

Language wouldn't matter since I was just thinking about it being a batch file that you click on and it automatically does everything. Can you provide some insight on how to write it via Java?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A batch file is just a series of commands. Do you know the commands for converting the database? What is "2007" (other than a calendar year)?

You have to actually know the commands you need to run to perform an operation.

5. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

Right...I was hoping for some insight on how to write the batch file, regardless of what language was being used. I do not know what the commands would be to perform these actions, but was hoping someone more experienced/advanced does.

6. sepala

sepala

If you can use the newest version of the JAVA, which is JAVA 7, there is a new package called "nio" (new input output). This will package has Classes supporting for this action. There is a static method called "copy()" inside "Files" class which will help you in this case. Here is the link

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/io/copy.html

If you can't use this JAVA 7, still it is possible. Use streams, convert the file to a set of bytes and transfer.

7. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

That Java will create a copy of my file :) Perfection part A is done...anyone have any idea's how to automate the process of converting an access 2000 database to an access 2007

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The coding language doesn't have anything to do with the commands that actually perform the work. There isn't a command in any language that does "convert my database". It's like you're trying to write a great mystery novel, and your focusing on what Word processing program to use to type it without having established a plot or any characters.

What kind of conversion operation do you need to do?

9. sepala

sepala

Agree with DoubleHelix. It is better if you can do that manually. However if you can get the bytes of the current format and covert it to the new format, it will work for sure. It is completely hard programming. But pardon me, I don't know how to do that.

10. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of. There are just over 500 databases, and was trying to automate the process if at all possible.

Helix - I was wanting to first create a copy of an access2000 database, and then convert that copy of the database to access20007.

However, knowing how to copy the databases pro grammatically will save a great deal of time.

11. jo15765

jo15765 Thread Starter

I just found this...do you guys think this would work effectively, and include a search of subfolders: And by subfolders I mean let's say that I want to search my entire C:\ drive and find any .mdb file extension and covert it, would this search strictly in the C:\ folder or would it search the subfolders within my C:\ drive as well?
    Code:
    Sub ConvertDb(oldDbPath As String, newDbPath As String)

Dim x

Dim strDBName As String
    Dim strOLDDB As String
    Dim strNewDb As String

strDBName = Dir(oldDbPath & "\*.MDB")   ' Retrieve the first MDB file entry.

'Loop though the files in the folder to find MDB files.

Do While strDBName <> ""
    ' Ignore the current folder and the encompassing folder.
      If strDBName <> "." And strDBName <> ".." Then

If Right(strDBName, 3) = "mdb" Then
           strOLDDB = oldDbPath & "\" & strDBName
           strNewDb = newDbPath & "\" & strDBName

Application.ConvertAccessProject _
           SourceFilename:=strOLDDB, _
           DestinationFilename:=strNewDb, _
           DestinationFileFormat:=acFileFormatAccess2007
           'May or may not want messagebox to display when conversion completed
           'MsgBox "Conversion complete."
        End If
      End If
    strDBName = Dir    ' Get next MDB.
    Loop

End Sub

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304318

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice