1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto Disconnect Box

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by weldor, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Everything was working well using IE6.0. A couple of weeks ago I went to the microsoft update site and downloaded several overdue and reccomended updates one of which was IE6 with service pack 1 all the downloads and instalation appeared to go properly but after I browsed the web for a while and closed my last web page the disconnect dialog box failed to show up, I then R. clicked on the icon on the lower right and the disconnect appeared to go normal but when I clicked on the start button to shut down I got a message saying there was a runing task that needed to be shut down when I clicked the end task button everything locked up and I had to do a C/A/D to shut down. This appeared to solve the problem and everything restarted as normal.

The problem is this only happens sometimes, other times when I shutdown a web page all works as it is supposed to but mabe two times out of five It goes the other way with no shutdown box and the problems above.

I have since reinstalled windows, had a local computer tech help me reinstall IE6.0 SP1 and the problem still happens, I have checked all the boxes that are supposed to be checked In IE tools connections also, and tried disabling the start up progs. in MSCONFIG.

Thank for any light you might be able to shed on the problem Dick

Also I have run Spybot and two antivrus scans (Norton and Grifsoft) with a clean bill of health. I have posted this to another group a couple of weeks ago an am unable to come up with anything so this is my last chance I guess.

Almost forgot, Win98, 128meg. ram, Gateway Comp. IE6.0 SP1, with all current updates.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

Was that an insult? Hmph...

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Corrosive, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the poster's name is Dick, and he tried to end his thread there, then had an after thought and continued typing ;)

4. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Hi Corrosive and AcaCandy I am verry sorry about the inference. My typing and puncuation skills aren't up to par.

AcaCandy you are right on the name and my intentions, I guess even though I am a poor typist I can still outrun my brain:D

As before My apologies and as before any help with the problem appreciated.

5. MoparGuy

MoparGuy

I too am having the same problem after downloading IE 6 service pack 1 update. Computer hangs at shutdown, end task window opens, and now my internet connection sharing has a yellow exclamation point on it and I cannot up date its driver.I am going to resort to a reload of windows.

6. JJulian79

JJulian79

I also have a simular problem with IE5 6.0 and SP1. when I click on the close box in the corner, and try to shutdown. it will eather hang or sit and act stupid! when I hit ctrl/alt/del for the close program box, I can still see IE6 sitting there. I hit End Task and it won't! Also some times when I R click on the modems icon to disconnect, I get to hash box on the icon, and, it disconnects. But wont close the modems out. And I'm just about fed up with the Program performed illeagle function error, Most of the time with IE6. I dont think I have had a REAL shutdown in forever!
    Also, in my win.ini the is a cmmpu.exe being loaded at startup?
    And what is Systray?

P2celeron 366
    196meg RAM
    40gig Hard drive
    xpert 128 PCI video
    98se
    :confused:
    :mad:

7. JJulian79

JJulian79

One more thing. How can it be IE5 and 6.0?????????

8. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

JJulian79,

See if this answers the Cmmpu.exe part.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q218608

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if your computer contains a sound card or integrated sound chip by C-Media, Inc., based on the CMI-8330 chip set. The error message is caused by the Windows 95/MS-DOS MPU-401 Emulator for MIDI driver (Cmmpu.exe) being loaded in the Win.ini file. This driver was designed for use with Windows 95 only.

Systray is located by the clock, lower right hand corner where you see the icons of what is running in the startup group.

9. JJulian79

JJulian79

So, since I dont use MIDI. Can I just remove that file? I dont think it's causing any problems right now. and I'm about to get a new M/B and CPU, so I will have to go through the whole windows set-up thing again anyway. I guess I'll leave it for now. If I could just get this problem with IE fixed!

ARGHHH lol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice