1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

auto ~ installing ~ spyware

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by starwaves77, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwaves77

starwaves77 Thread Starter

Hey Super Techs -

I would really like some of your ideas and opinions on this statement.

spyware installs itself

Some are of the opinion that it doesn't, that there always has to be a user initiated "avenue," whereas I'm of the opinion that there doesn't necessarily have to be a direct knowingly or unkowingly path taken by the user. That spyware can install itself as a result of normally surfing the internet as in a "drive by download," or as simple as "adware cookies." or even when you don't agree to terms of an offer, and click no , refuse, etc, but still download something malicious, or decide to quit a download you change your mind on, entries to the registry are still placed.......that might be an example of an "avenue," but you know what I mean..

For the sake of the analysis, lets' just say spyware that installs itself whether you have interaction with it or not.

I know your ideas will sort this out for me...........

Mega Thanks,

ps.........was recently chased out of town by Isabel, then without power for a week, you'll be glad to know - all computers AOK....trees & roof not.....LOL

:)

2. BillC

BillC

It is my view that this statement you posted is indeed true. You can surely pick up spyware or adware simply from surfing and as the statement said, particularily if you click on anything.

Also, Freeware is frequently not free from spyware or adware pests. There is a great little utiliy that can help block such intrusions. It is free and free of pests. Look at Spyware Blaster

And try Pest Patrol's free online scan to see if you may already have pests.

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

It's correct. An unscrupulous web-developer can put in certain ActiveX controls or exploit a loophole in IE to automatically install software onto your PC.

However, the main cause is when people download an application which uses spy/adware in order to fund it. These additional programs often declare themselves in the EULA agreement (that load-of-text-at-the-start-of-an-installation-routine stuff) so they don't get sued or whatever. Look out for apps wanting to install "3rd party applications."

4. putasolution

putasolution

5. starwaves77

starwaves77 Thread Starter

I'm picking up what your all saying, about active x & freeware...

Putasolution,
    Your zeroed in on this bringing up Spywarenuker, an actual experience that I have with it kinda fueled some of my concerns here. I did try and download it once without checking it out first, and when I hit the download tab, I got an "urgent" pop up from Pest Patrol, saying that I was downloading spyware, and then it supplied the references to back it up, I was totally had, surprised, but protected...........

Now here is the most interesting part:
    I didn't download it, clicked cancel, and forgot about it.........

Weeks later, using another spy hunter called "spyware sweeper," I discovered entries in the registry from Spywarenuker, without ever downloading it...........

and that is what were talking about......
    Here's the sweeper site
    SpyWare Sweeper

It is an awesome spyhunter & spy blocker........
    I guarantee it will find entries that Spybot & Adware miss.......

:)

6. putasolution

putasolution

The reason I brought this one up is because a poster on another forum was having problems with google search, and this program apppeared to be the only common denominator

It also appeared to create a whole host file that not only redirected google, but yahoo, MSN and others

The interesting bit is that he is quite adamant that he did not agree to download anything and that activeX controls are set to ask first. (I have them well trained;))

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice