Auto log-in problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

k56

Several months ago my PC started to boot up differently. Instead of starting and going right to my desktop automatically, it got to a point where a message box would pop up and I would be asked to sign in. I would need to click on OK before Windows XP would open. Also when I would click the START button and then the SHUT DOWN button a different message box would pop up and ask me what I wanted to do—RESTART—SHUT DOWN

I went on line and found this:

Windows XP Auto Login

You can configure Windows XP to automate the logon process if your computer is not part of a domain. Computers configured in a business environment generally have a domain and for those machines the option "Users must enter a username" does not appear because a password must be given to access the local area network or domain.
1. Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2. This is a shortcut instead of having to click on Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts.
2. Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" check box.
3. Click Apply.
4. Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
5. Click OK again and you're all done.
This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on. Enabling auto logon makes your computer more convenient to use, but can pose a security risk since anyone can just turn the machine on and access your files.

However, when I did the above changes the next time I would reboot most of my desktop icons were missing and my desktop background scene would go to the XP default.

Is this the only way that the automatic start up and shut down can be restored? And if so what is the best way to retrieve my icons?

I have attached two pictures to show the message box that I receive when booting up and shutting down.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

k56

It has been awhile since I tried the fix, but I think it was "Administrators"

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Why would you AutoLogin with the Account named Administrator. You needed to set it up to AutoLogin with the Account you normally login with. This is probably why you don't see any of your original icons. You did not set it up to AutoLogin with the account that you usually use.

k56

So I should try it again and this time use my personal user name? and see what happens?

k56

Well so much for that idea. I did the fix and used my personal user name. I still have the desktop and icons but now I have a new message that says; "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters must be typed using the correct case"

When I type in the password and click OK I get that message again. If I do not type in the password and click OK it starts up XP.

So it looks like I have just added another message to click on in order to start XP.

Attachments

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You positive you setup the AutoLogin with the correct Username and Password. I am guessing you didn't type in the password correctly when setting up the AutoLogin.

k56

Okay, I tried it again. This time I did not put in any password (#4 on the fix above) and then clicked OK and then OK again (#5 above) and it is working okay at this time. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Thanks a bunch for your help.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online