1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto logout?

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by angel, Dec 17, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

Is there a timeout here where you will automatically be logged out? I have a shortcut setup for New Posts that I use most often. Most of the time, that works well (sometimes I have to log in first in the morning but sometimes I'm still logged in from my last visit but that's no big deal). There have been a few times, however, where I'll be going along viewing new posts (I hit it every few minutes) when suddenly I get a message that there aren't any posts that match my search. When I go to the main page, I see I am no longer logged in. I log in and all is well until it happens again.
    And, no, I wasn't deleting my cookies. :D
    Any ideas?

2. Rikku

Rikku

Hmm, that hasn't happened to me, and I use 'new post search' a bit.
    However, what does happen to me is that it will search for new posts and just hang. Then I have to refresh a few times or go back to the main menu and click search again...

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm not sure if this is of interest, or not, but according to our vB settings:

"900 = Timeout for Cookie: This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before the unread posts are reset to read."

4. angel

angel Thread Starter

Hmmm... not sure about Rikku but I don't think that applies to me. When it happens to me, it's not that the new posts have been reset - I have to actually login again (like I'd been automatically logged out).

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Unless something's happening to your cookies, I don't see how that's possible... Might want to try deleting the cookie for this site and then logging in again (so it will be re-created). What operating system and browser are you using, btw?

6. deuce

deuce

Hummm... just a bit ago my cookies were sorta being intercepted (?:confused:?) meaning that they were enabled and never really switched off to begin with (settings were always in enabled) but just stoped being used and I had to log into everything again. At TSG I would read a post and click reply and write a response and then click submit and by then it would time me out and I would lose the post and have to wirte it all over again. That was very annoying Mike :) as some of the posts were quite long but that was my fault for writing long posts. Anyway the problem kinda fixed itself and I haven't had any problems like that since. Also (not sure if it helps Angel) I have a link that goes directly to the lost post in the rambling discussion thread and that is usually where I start my rounds and just go directly to there. Never really go through the first page to log in or anything. I can go from being shut down, to booting and then clicking on my "last post" link and it comes up ok. BTW Mike... I didn't mean anything by the comment about how it was annoying and I'm not blaming you or anything... sure I had to retype a few things but I actually don't care, it as only a few extra minutes of my time. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice