1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto (printername) Printers showing up in XP Printers and Faxes Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kjfrey55, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

This seems to be happening for various printers on various workgroups. Basically, I install a shared workgroup printer on a computer in the workgroup (not the computer it's physically attached to). Then on some login names, in their Printers and Faxes folder I see the same printer but the word "Auto" is in front of it. These often have limited ability to work. But I'm mainly wondering why they show up and how.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Windows sensed them on the network and automatically installed them . . it's agrivating that it does that, but it does.

3. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I think the only reason I was having a problem is that it seems to only allow those users who have administrator accounts to print to them. Even when I've installed a printer locally, only administrator accounts can print. A limited account user cannot.

Without making any other changes, I had a limited user unable to print. As soon as I made him an administrator he could. W2k used to have several levels of users - Users, Power Users, etc. - where you could grant an array of priviledges. I could not find similar in the User setup in XP. My thought was that printing (for some Microsoft reason) had or could be granted separately. It doesn't make sense that you'd have to open your machines to the ordinary Joe or Jane as administrators simply to be able to print. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ken

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice