1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

auto reboot after a power cut

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by quovadistamworth, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quovadistamworth

quovadistamworth Thread Starter

Help......... Does anyone know of a piece of software I can install on my laptop and desk top that .........in event of a power cut both machines will auto re-start without anyone being present ? The problem is that I use both computers to view my security cameras when I am away ....at present I have lost communication and both say not on line so either the internet has failed or there has been a power cut and both machines are sitting there dead!!! any suggestions greatly aprreciated .........Nothing to complicated please I am not a programmer or anything like that ...but can follow reasonable detailed instructions ok using a computer ...Thanks again f

2. stantley

stantley

If the power outages are under 30 Min. or so, I'd consider getting a battery backup. That way if the power cuts out the battery takes over and your systems keep running.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

It will almost HAVE to be in your computer's BIOS setup. See if there is a setting for power loss or power return on loss.

The reason it can't be a program on your computer, is that if your computer is already off, how can a program run to turn your computer on?

A UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) can help alleviate temporary power outages, but if your battery power goes out and you are not around, your computer will still be off once power returns. Most times, since most home UPS' are relatively short lived (maybe under a half-hour - depending upon your UPS capacity, and what your drain on it is) a computer system will use a UPS to start a logical and safe shut-down procedure, so as not to lose data.

You really need something the BIOS tells the computer what it should do (generally just 2 options: remain off or start up) upon power returning.

Once the computer gets back up, and running, THEN a program can tell your computer what next to do.

4. BlackSpike

BlackSpike

A lot of BIOS have a Power Restored setting.
    They notice the power loss, and when it returns, you can set it to have yourt PC in one of 3 states:
    On, Off, As Before.
    You will have to check your individual BIOS for exact details.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice