1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

auto-renaming CD-drive letters in Win XP !!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Newbie_Cracker, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newbie_Cracker

Newbie_Cracker Thread Starter

Hi everybody.

I don't know why my CD-drive letters automatically change and I can not fix them to my desired letters.
    Always I use Virtual-CD and Alcohol 120%. My desired CD drivers arangement are like this:

1- Virtual-CD drive
    2- Alcohol 120% drive
    3- NEC 3350A DVD-RW
    4- ASUS 5224 CD-RW

But sometimes they are rearranged and I can not stop this action.
    I don't know virtual-CD v8.0 is responsible to this action or any other software, but it always happens after installing virtual-cd, not instantly, after installing some softwares. Few months ago, this changes occured after installing one specific version of ZoneAlarm, but last night I installed my needed softwares carefully and watched my drive arrangements. There was no problem !
    At last I restarted windows 3 times, there was no problem too.
    Then I backuped my partition, but after restarting drive letters changed like this !

1- NEC DVD
    2- ASUS CD
    3- Virtual-CD drive
    4- Alcohol drive

So I deleted this f*cking image. :mad:

I tried to change drive letters from Control panel > Administative tools > Computer management, but after restarting drive letters changed again !! :(
    I searched registry and try to change the registry keys of SCSI drives, but I'd no success !!!

I uninstalled virtual-cd and rearranged drives, but again they changed !
    I didn't install any firewall or anti-virus, even not Nero burning tools.

I have Win XP SP2.

Does anybody have a solution for stoping rearrangement of drives by windows? :confused:

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

Are you using Disk Management for your hard drives, for logical assignment?

As for CD drives, I don't know of any way to change their logical assignment. They are assigned in the order they are loaded during Windows bootup, after the hard drives assignments. The re-ordering of your CD drives is due to delays in loading, one CD drive loads faster than the other for whatever reason.

3. Newbie_Cracker

Newbie_Cracker Thread Starter

I think Virtual CD 8 caused this problem.
    I Installed version 9 and drives letter haven't change anymore after my arrangement till now!

If this problem occured again, I'll unplug my CD drives before booting windows for the first time and install Virtual CD. I hope this solve the problem :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice