auto-renaming CD-drive letters in Win XP !!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newbie_Cracker

Hi everybody.

I don't know why my CD-drive letters automatically change and I can not fix them to my desired letters.
Always I use Virtual-CD and Alcohol 120%. My desired CD drivers arangement are like this:

1- Virtual-CD drive
2- Alcohol 120% drive
3- NEC 3350A DVD-RW
4- ASUS 5224 CD-RW

But sometimes they are rearranged and I can not stop this action.
I don't know virtual-CD v8.0 is responsible to this action or any other software, but it always happens after installing virtual-cd, not instantly, after installing some softwares. Few months ago, this changes occured after installing one specific version of ZoneAlarm, but last night I installed my needed softwares carefully and watched my drive arrangements. There was no problem !
At last I restarted windows 3 times, there was no problem too.
Then I backuped my partition, but after restarting drive letters changed like this !

1- NEC DVD
2- ASUS CD
3- Virtual-CD drive
4- Alcohol drive

So I deleted this f*cking image. :mad:

I tried to change drive letters from Control panel > Administative tools > Computer management, but after restarting drive letters changed again !! :(
I searched registry and try to change the registry keys of SCSI drives, but I'd no success !!!

I uninstalled virtual-cd and rearranged drives, but again they changed !
I didn't install any firewall or anti-virus, even not Nero burning tools.

I have Win XP SP2.

Does anybody have a solution for stoping rearrangement of drives by windows? :confused:

Are you using Disk Management for your hard drives, for logical assignment?

As for CD drives, I don't know of any way to change their logical assignment. They are assigned in the order they are loaded during Windows bootup, after the hard drives assignments. The re-ordering of your CD drives is due to delays in loading, one CD drive loads faster than the other for whatever reason.

Newbie_Cracker

I think Virtual CD 8 caused this problem.
I Installed version 9 and drives letter haven't change anymore after my arrangement till now!

If this problem occured again, I'll unplug my CD drives before booting windows for the first time and install Virtual CD. I hope this solve the problem :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online