1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto run not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1st4allus, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1st4allus

1st4allus Thread Starter

Hi, Working with a new motherboard & other new components. Using win.XP pro, with SP2 installed yesterday. The autorun feature will not work and the cd-dvd player is not recognized. Trouble installing softwarea also. I think I had this problem cple. months ago after reinstalling XP pro on a new HD installed on my previous system without a clean install. Any help greatly appreciated.

AMD 3000 athalon, 1.5 gigs Ram, 3 Hd's 240 gigs.

2. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Try this: Credit goes to Hamill

Here is the fix for auto play not working in windows XP.

Step1: Go to the windows directory where XP is installed and open Regedit.exe or just go to Start --> Run and type regedit

Step2: Here under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / ControlSet001 / Services / Cdrom -------- locate the key AutoRun which should have its Data set to 0

Step3: Click on the Data field of this AutoRun key and set the value to 1
    -Note, if it is already set to 1 then im stumped, go to explorer and see the properties of your cd/dvd drive i believe there should be an autorun tab.

Step4: Reboot

Your problem should be removed now.

You may back up the registry file before doing this for safety. But frankly I did it without taking a backup and got it all right.

3. 1st4allus

1st4allus Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've followed your suggestions, but not taken any action as yet. I'm attaching a screen shot of where I got to and I'm trying to decide which line/file should be changed if at all. i'm always hesitant about changing things in the registry. ?

Attached Files:

4. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

that is in the wrong place. You are in Cdrom--->Enum, go back to the root folder of Cdrom.

5. 1st4allus

1st4allus Thread Starter

Hi funkdmonkey, How do you find out about these things. I did get the right place this time and found Auto run was set to zero. I changed it to 1, looked like this 0x00000001(1). Tried it out and it works. As usual I'm at loss to understand why it got to be set at 0, as it was working orginally. Thanks a heap. I got some help wnen I first questioned on this Forum and donated $'s. Will do soagain, it's a terrific site. I'll keep the info incase this comes up in the future. Thanks.

6. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

hey no problem. Glad i can help, i to would donate money if i could. Fantastic site.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice