1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto-shutdown after 1-2 minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikensd79, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikensd79

mikensd79 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the help on my earlier thread.

I replaced the CPU and mobo (upgrades ftw) and now I'm able to power-up and get into BIOS.

My new problem is that the computer powers down suddenly, without warning, after being on for less than 2 minutes.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo (E6420)
    Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI 775 A1
    RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR1066 (OCZ2N1066SR2GK)
    GPU: EVGA 7600GT (256-P2-N550-T2)
    HD: WD 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (WD1600YS)
    OD: Sony DVD Burner (AW-Q170A-B2)
    PSU: Apevia 500W (ATX-CW500WP4)
    Case: XION II XON-101 Mid Tower

All of the fans, including the one attached to the CPU's heatsink, are moving. It's on for such a short amount of time that I doubt it's heat related. Would it be not enough power? The mobo recommends an 8-pin 12V connection, but accepts a 4-pin. I'm not running SLI. I have hardly any components. Is it just power hungry maybe?

UPDATE: After checking the forums over at EVGA, I removed the heatsink, reapplied thermal paste, and reinstalled the heatsink. It's been on for 6 minutes now and I'm finally installing windows. Wish me luck!! :)

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I installed a heatsink once and forgot to remove the protective tape. Be sure you didn't do that.

If not properly cooled, a CPU can overheat in as little as one- or two seconds.

3. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Is your heatsink steady on your m/b or does it seem a little loose? I' m almost sure that it's the heatsink. Had exactly the same problem when I first bult my system. Core 2 Duo cooling systems are really messy to install. So uninstall the heatsink and check for the plastic cover as already suggested. If it's ok install it again making sure that all four "screws" are in ther correct locking position as refered in the manual. They must be in the same "depth" in your mainboard and the heatsink will not be able to move if you push it. You may need to apply a level of power in order for the "screws" to get in place, be careful of course!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/566742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice