1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Andersson1, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andersson1

Andersson1 Thread Starter

How do I enable auto shutdown in XP? So I haven't got to turn it off manually... Thanks!

2. Black_Sol

Black_Sol

It will be in your BIOS

press the button to go into setup when you first boot up. then look for it under power settings (normally, if not have a hunt) and set it to the automatic view.

However if you dont have an ATX or newer power supply then you will not be able to use this function as AT does not support auto shutdown.

BS

3. Yakiba

Yakiba

The only way I know how is to write a script using the "shutdown" command. Actually, I've only used the "shutdown" command from the C: prompt. Haven't actually written a script for it. Maybe someone else can give you clues on how to go about doing that.

EDIT: Are you referring to actually pressing the button to turn the computer off or having it on a timer to shutdown, cuz that's what I was thinking...

4. Andersson1

I thougt that XP had a feature to auto shutdown, when you shut your computer down. It's because my PC can only start by using the power button, but not shutdown the computer.

Not on schedule, but when I close windows, I want my computer to automatic shutdown.

5. Yakiba

Yakiba

Nevermind. Got confused for a sec.

6. Andersson1

Arh Simple! Found it on another site.
    On some computers, by default, Windows XP doesn't power off the computer when you tell it to shut down. However, if your computer is relatively new, it can probably by shut completely off by WinXP. To configure your computer for this behavior, simply open the Control Panel, open Performance and Maintenance, then Power Options. On the APM tab, check next to "Enable Advanced Power Management support," then click OK.
    The next time you choose "Shut Down" from the Start Menu, your computer should shut down completely and then power off.

In case anyone have the same problemo!

7. Andersson1

Thanks!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice