Auto shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

73H.H473

Every now and then my computer switches off and I get an error message.
Today it's happened to me at least 6 times since I've been on it.
Here's the problem:
It's usually when I'm using LimeWire, recieving files over MSN or sometimes just for no reason at all.
I get a BSOD which says:

"Auto Shutdown

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This may be due to a possible hardware change, blah, blah, blah.

Begining dump of physical memory

Dumping physical memory to disk 0-100"

Where I've put "0-100", is my computer counting upwards from 0 to 100.
And where I get the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", it is sometimes "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Does anybody know what the problem might be?

Cliffy.

Good Morning Cliffy, that problem can be caused by an overheating processor or a memory error amongst other things. (lots of other things)

A good starting place is to obtain and run Everest Home, go to Computer > Sensors page during the kind of period where this problem happens or during some system stressing activity, cut and paste the sensors page Voltage and temp info. (back here)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

A second thing you can do is obtain Memtest86, make a bootable media with it and run it for several hours. Accept no errors.
http://www.memtest.org/

If neither of these ustilities gives a clue you are still in front because you have tested those items.

Cheers, qldit.

73H.H473

Hey again qldit, I downloaded and installed Everest, but when I go to 'Computer -> Sensor', I get a blank, grey screen. Is this strange?
At the moment I think my computer is pretty messed up. As soon as I find my XP disk, I'm going to format, then I'll try Everest again.

Cliffy.

G'day Cliffy, in some cases there is no info on some machines, but usually it will give at least some writing at least.
When odd problems accumulate over time it often is easiest to do a clean re-load.
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online