1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dennisch1, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dennisch1

Dennisch1 Thread Starter

I am running XP version 3, on a Toshiba Laptop. After a nite of electrical interference, this Laptop (my other laptops are running fine) started shutting down after 1 to 4 minutes, sometimes it never made it through the boot. It turns itself off completely, then try as I will it will not stay on. I imagine this has to be a hardware problem, I cannot perform any diagnostics because it wont stay on long enough. So I'm hoping for an educated guess.
    Thanks
    Dennis

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is the Battery fully charged.......

3. Dennisch1

Dennisch1 Thread Starter

I keep the laptop plugged in so its always charged. But when this happened I changed Batteries, no inexpensive task, I dont have to tell you.

Thanks
    Dennis

4. Megabite

Megabite

So the battery is fully charged and does the PC do the same with just running on the battery and or powersupply?

and do you hear the fan spinning?

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Are all air vents clean?

6. Dennisch1

Dennisch1 Thread Starter

Yep fan runs, battery is plugged in, response from machine does not change from battery to AC power supply. The kicker of this problem is that the machine wont stay on long enough for any diagnostics.
    I believe the air vents are clean. However I dont have any compressed air can to blow into it.
    That is going to be my next chore, purchase and blow out the interior of the machine. I will get back to you when this is completed.
    Thanks
    Dennis

7. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Vents on a Laptop should be vacuumed (via ionized air/device), not "blown into". Disassembly of the machine will usually allow vacuuming while observing E.S.D. procedures.

8. Dennisch1

Dennisch1 Thread Starter

I was so hoping that was the answer, I could afford the $5 for a can of air. Yep I did vacuum the outlets and blew away any dust inside that I could get to. Just so we are on the same page I am not an A+, however years ago I did get CNA/CNE from Novell, I mention this because as I said "years ago" and Novell is not by any stretch close to Microsoft enviroment. I have noticed that my Norton is not activated, when I try to activate it, the machine shuts down, before this it was always activated.
    I hope thats a hint for an easy solution.

Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice