Auto-standby problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Timbersnake

Hi,

My computer has developed a taste for switching itself onto standby about 3 minutes after I boot it up.
I have a AMD 1200 Mhz processor, with 20gb hard drive (over 10 remains free), 256 ram running a Windows XP Pro S2 operating system. I have never encountered this problem before.

I have run three different virus programs on the computer, but nothing has shown. I have also checked msconfig to see if the computer has any strange new startup processes it shouldnt have, but nothing there either.

So now im stuck as to why the computer is doing this? Once ive re-started from turning itself off it can be problematic and time consuming to get it up again, but once it is, it doesnt switch off again for the whole time its on. But once i shut down and restart later, it does it again!

Any ideas guys? the only one i have left is to take the case off, remove any dust that might me shorting something and give that a try??

crjdriver

Certainly cleaning cannot hurt. Does your system do the same thing when booting into safe mode? If so, it points at a hardware issue. If it runs fine in safe mode, then you probably have a problem with software, driver, spyware, etc.

Timbersnake

Well, i used the very handy easycleaner program, and it cleaned up parts of my pc making it slightly faster and very quick at booting. but it hasnt solved the sudden shut down problem.? I can check booting in safe mode, but i think it must be a software problem. if it was hardware, the power would cut off whenever it wanted. it only does it on initial start-up from being off. As it is on now, if i was to re-start the computer it would not do this again. only when i boot up from a complete shut-down and only on the first go, once its up, it stays up?

Anymore ideas guys??
Cheers for your help so far

goto your control panel -display -screen saver -bottom right click on settings for power - lookat your at your system standby time. it might need adjusted.

Timbersnake

Hi,
I looked into this earlier and all my standby options etc are set to 'never'. I have to say, the computer didnt do it this morning and its still on now. Il shut down n reboot a few times over the course of the day. watch this space!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online