1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Auto start up and shut down?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mrcrowley1967, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrcrowley1967

Mrcrowley1967 Thread Starter

I want to be able to run anti virus and spyware killer and diskeeper on the kids pc but they never remember to do it and I dont have the time to do it . My question sence I can program a time for anti virus and spyware and diskeeper to run is there a way to turn on the pc and shut it off at certain time? Can you do it from Hibernation or standby?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The BIOS may have an "Alarm Clock" setting that can power on the PC at a specified time. That should also bring it out of hibernation.
    Turning it off again could be tricky. AVG 7.5 can be set to turn off when it finishes scanning, but that has to be manually checked after the scan starts.
    Easiest way is to have a batch file check to see if the scans have completed by checking to see if the AntiVirus/Spyware/diskkeeper processes are still running. When the processes stop, then shutdown the PC.

You could also just have it shutdown at a specific time, but the scans may not be finished.

If the software creates a scheduled task job in the Scheduled Task folder (Control Panel | Scheduled tasks) there is a setting to Wake the Computer to run the task. Right click the task, goto the Settings tab and check the box.

Otherwise, you'd have to check each program to see if it has an option to wake the PC, or bring it out of standby.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice