auto turn off GONE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fergy73

hi,im running windows xp home edition with sp2. To turn off my pc,i usually click on start in the taskbar,then the options to stand-by,turn off or restart appear,I then click on turn off,and the pc does the rest,it turns the pc off and the monitor. Now when i go through the process of turning it off, i do everything as described above,but instead of shutting off,it just acts as if i did nothing,i am left staring at the desktop and can just continue to use it as normal.So i have come to the conclusion that some sort of virus or something (i am doing a virus sweep as i am writting) has turned off the auto shutdown function,What i'd really love to know is can anyone tell me how i can turn this feature back on,i also forgot to add,that u cannot log off either,the same thing happens,so i would be really greatful if anyone has any suggestions at all,Thanks for your time:confused:

I have this happen to me as well but only occassionally. The only way I can get out of it is by doing the Ctrl-Alt-Del (Windows Task Manager) and then deselecting ipodservice.exe and iTunesHelper.exe

Once I've done this and then go to Start-Turn off computer-Shutdown, it works fine.

If this has happened after installing some software, then maybe you have to end that program from running in the "Windows Task Manager".

See how you go
Denimgirl

fergy73

hi,thanks for your replies,but there is nothing running in windows task manager,i tried that already! Anymore ideas anyone,i have tried so many different things,its driving me crazy.
Does anyone think that something could have changed the settings in the bios.would it be worth having a look in the options in there?what do u think.:confused:

Did you try all 7 methods listed in the MS article I provided?

No, changing the BIOS settings will not fix the problem if it was working before and you have not changed or updated the BIOS.

fergy73

hi,yes i did try everything in the artical at microsoft,dan-0,i looked there before as i often visit the site.Now alot of things are starting to go wrong(as if there were a virus),but i have a current antivirus,that is up-to-date,i have microsoft antispyware,that is up-to-date,and my windows os is up-to-date,all the virus sweeps i have done come up clear,but i know that something is not right.What could be doing this,that my antivirus or spyware cant pick up? worm maybe???once again i really appreciate ur help,thanks for your time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts