1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

auto update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by plecostamus, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plecostamus

plecostamus Thread Starter

hi peeps
    i have a problem with updates I have tried to update windows xp pro and will not as auto update not on when i try to turn on using services it said this service is marked for deletion, I installed sp2 and now the service has gone also cannot install virus checker updates (mcafee)
    any ideas would be appreciated

plecostamus

2. zmaster

zmaster

hmm about the anti-virus not being able to download it latest updates. Do this: Go to windows explorer: go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. I think from memory. Your looking for a file called hosts. Right click on the file and open with notepad *NOTE: make sure the "Always use this program to open files" is NOT checked* Then post a copy and paste all the info from this log.

3. plecostamus

plecostamus Thread Starter

hi managed to find a couple of worms then updater downloaded from microsoft then the bloody thing came back and removed updater service soe tried reinstall xp over top of old xp didn't work so formatted c partition re installed win xp so now got to put back everything, I had sp2 as a download on my pc but when I started to install it got virus warnings 3 different ones so dont know if that was the culprit, anyway thanks for your help

plecostamus (y)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

SP2 does have some issues with a lot of software. Check the MS site for details.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!